Renfrewshire Council

Pay Award agreed

Final agreement has now been reached on the pay award for employees whose terms and conditions of service cover Local Government.

For Local Government Employees this means:

  • An increase in the Scottish Local Government Living Wage rate to £11.89 per hour
  • For employees on pay points 19-23, an increase in the hourly rate of £1.04
  • For employee on pay points 24 - 33, an increase in the hourly rate of £1.00
  • All other pay rates are detailed here - Renfrewshire Council staff salary scales
    • You can calculate your hourly increase by comparing the updated salary scale document, with last year's document.

The dates for the new rates and back pay remain the same, and will be made based on your pay frequency as follows:

  • Weekly, Fortnightly and Monthly will be paid on 25 January 2024
  • Four Weekly will be paid on 31 January 2024.

A day or two before each of the above pay dates all employees can view their electronic payslip on ERP-Business World.

Please do not contact Payroll prior to your payslip being issued to ask for an estimate of the back pay that you will receive.  This can only be discussed when each pay run is finalised. If you have a query upon receipt of your payslip, please contact 

Please note that we deal with high volumes of enquiries so would kindly ask for your patience until we respond.

For those employees who were due deductions from pay because of industrial action, these deductions will not take effect until February 2024.

Please also be aware, following the UK Government's decision to reduce National Insurance contribution, this will automatically take affect from 6 January 2024.

Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit the amount you get changes if your take-home pay changes, which includes awards of backdated pay. If you get additional pay within a Universal Credit assessment period (month), your Universal Credit payment will either be less than you normally receive, or your income may be too high to qualify for a payment.

Universal Credit is calculated on your personal circumstances, because of this we, as your employer, do not know how, or if, you may be affected. You can access your UC Journal at  An overview of Universal Credit can be found at

The pay award together with the backdated payment may mean you will either receive less Universal Credit than normal or you may even earn too much to qualify, and your Universal Credit claim will close. If your claim closes, you will see a message on your UC Journal telling you about this.

If Universal Credit payments stop because you have had additional pay, you must start up your claim again. You should do this as soon as you can to make sure you do not miss out. 

You can do this by logging into your UC journal and selecting the "Reclaim" tab. You will find this at the bottom of the screen. This will take you to a new screen where you will be asked to answer a few simple questions. If you have any problems doing this, contact your Work Coach or visit your local Jobcentre Plus.  

Financial advice and guidance

You can get advice from our Advice Works team here at the Council or go to the Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau. Details are below.

Advice Works - Renfrewshire Website. Telephone number 300 300 1238.
Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau. Telephone number 0141 889 2121.

Published on Wednesday 13 December 2023