Renfrewshire Council

Rescheduled events

Application fees are non-refundable. However, if you have already been granted and issued with a licence and the event has subsequently been postponed to a new date, you will require to submit a further application for the rescheduled date - you should contact us in the first instance in relation to what fee may apply.

If your application has not as yet been granted and you wish the event to be changed to another date, please email with the details and any subsequent permissions.

Entertainment Licences

If you are organising an event in the near future, then you should take note that there are changes in the law in relation to Public Entertainment Licensing.  

Since 1 April 2012, even if your event is free to the public, there may be a requirement for a licence depending on whether the type of event proposed would currently need a Public Entertainment Licence from Renfrewshire Council if there was a charge involved.

These are the types of activities/events which currently require to be licensed within Renfrewshire:

  •     Open air concerts
  •     Circuses
  •     Fairgrounds
  •     Large fetes with tented accommodation for the
  •     Snooker, billiards or pool halls which do not have  
        a liquor licence
  •     Premises used for dancing which are not exempt
  •     Amusement arcades
  •     Tanning salons.
  •     Video machine arcades
  •     Concert halls
  •     Firework displays
  •     Live performances
  •     Musical shows
  •     Paintball games
  •     Bungee jumping/Bungee running
  •     Motor Truck shows and displays

How do I apply for a licence?

An application pack with an application form and guidance notes can be downloaded from the related content area of the website.

Currently applications are not able to be accepted in person at our Customer Service Centre due to Coronavirus restrictions.  You will require to complete the application form and post it in to us at the address below, with the appropriate fee and documents enclosed.  At this time please do not enclose original documents (ie passports etc), photocopies of these is sufficient at this time.

If you are considering an event and wish advice on whether a licence is required you may contact the Civic Enforcement Officer details can be found in the related content area of the website.

You must answer every question on the form. If a question is not relevant, mark it as 'not applicable'.

What documents do I need to apply for a licence?

You require to submit public liability insurance and a letter of consent from the land owner (if required).  See guidance notes.

For outside events a plan of the area where the event is taking place, which clearly identifies the various activities, should be supplied with the application. The licensing section also requires to see evidence of your public liability insurance cover and inspection tests for all fairground rides and equipment before an application can be considered.

How much is the licence fee?

Information on fees for all licences can be found in the related content area of the website under civic application fees.

How long will my application take?

All applications made under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 must be considered within three months and a decision made within nine months.  However, this has been extended to 12 months under the Coronavirus (Scotland) Act 2020.

Who is consulted about my application?

A copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland, Scottish Fire & Rescue, the local Councillor, the Community Councillor, the Community Resources Department, Education & Leisure and where the premises are within Paisley Town Centre the Town Centre Manager. They will carry out their own investigations and report back to the licensing section.

Public Consultation

Where the application is for an event that requires to be advertised, during the COVID-19 pandemic the legislation has been amended to allow these to be advertised on the website rather than in the newspaper.  

A list of all public entertainment applications that have been received by Renfrewshire Council and are required to be advertised are available to view on the Tell Me Scotland website 

What happens if there if an objection to my application?

If an objection is received from any of the consultees, the application must be considered at a meeting of the Regulatory Functions Board. You will be formally cited to attend the meeting and a copy of the letter of objection will be sent out to you with the citation letter.

What conditions are attached to my licence?

The conditions of licence for event type licences (fairground/funfair/outside events), premises licences and tanning salon licences can be found in the related content area of the website.  Please make sure you are familiar with the conditions for the licence type you have applied for.


How long does the licence last for?

Applications for the grant of a public entertainment licence - premise based, including tanning saloons,  are generally granted for a period of one year.  Applications to renew an existing premises licence are normally granted for a two year period.  However, public entertainment licences for events are granted for the duration of the event and expire when they finish.

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents. .