Renfrewshire Council

Caravan and camping site licence

Conditions of the caravan and camping site licence, exceptions, how to apply, what happens after you've applied, if you are issued with a licence, if you are refused the licence.

You can only use land as a caravan site if you have a caravan and camping site licence from the council.

Conditions of the licence

You must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site and you must have planning permission. You will not be issued with a licence if you have had a site licence revoked within 3 years of your current application.

We may attach other conditions to your licence to cover:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • ensuring steps are taken enhance the land, including planting or replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • ensuring that sanitary facilities and other services or equipment are supplied and maintained.

If you need a licence for a permanent caravan site, you must have planning permission before we can issue you with a licence.


There are some exceptions:

  • A caravan situated in the land immediately surrounding a house or dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually travelling persons sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

How to apply

Email the Environmental Improvements team at or call 0300 300 0380 for an application form. The team will advise you on what standards are required for the licence.

Your application will be processed in 21 working days.

There is no fee for this licence.

What happens after you've applied

We will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability and an inspection every year afterwards.

Dependent on the findings of the inspection a licence may or may not be issued.

If you are issued with a licence

The licence lasts for one year. Before the renewal date, we will write to you to let you know the licence is due to be renewed.

You must let us know about any changes of circumstances.

If you are refused a licence

If you are not happy with the refusal of a licence or by any of the conditions you are subject to you can appeal to the sheriff who will review your application and may give us new directions on issuing the licence or the conditions.