Renfrewshire Council

From the 3 July 2023 all applications will be checked and verified by the Customer Service Centre advisors.  You will require to email the application to from this date.

Cinema licence

Any public performance of a film exhibition needs to be licensed by councils under the Cinemas Act 1985.

A cinema licence allows 'any exhibition of moving pictures' other than TV programmes on terrestrial TV or cable programmes which are licensed under the Cable and Broadcasting Act 1984.

How do I apply for a licence?
An application pack with an application form, guidance notes and conditions of licence can be downloaded from the related content area of the website.

You will require to complete the application form and provide all relevant documentation when making your application.  You must answer every question on the form. If a question is irrelevant, mark it as 'not applicable'.

In the first instance, the completed application form should be emailed to to be checked by the Customer Service team to ensure all questions have been completed correctly and supporting documentation sufficient.  Once the application form and all supporting documentation is accepted, the wet signature application form requires to be sent into the Council Offices at the address detailed below.  At this time please do not enclose original documents (ie passports etc), photocopies of these is sufficient at this time.  Payment can be made with cheque accompanying the application or we can make arrangements for payment to be taken over the phone on receipt of the signed application form.

What documents do I need to apply for a licence?
The application form, relevant fee and plan of the premises.

How much is the licence fee?
Information on fees for all licences is available on our application fees webpage.

What criteria have to be met to apply for a licence?
There are no criteria to be met.

Who is consulted about my application?
A copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland, Scottish Fire & Rescue, Local Councillor, Community Councillor, Environmental Services Department, Planning & Transport and, where the premises are within Paisley Town Centre, the Town Centre Manager. They will carry out their own investigations and report back to the licensing section.

What happens if there if an objection or representation to my application?
If an objection or representation is received, the application must be considered at a meeting of the Regulatory Functions Board. You will be formally cited to attend the meeting and a copy of the letter of objection will be sent out to you with the citation letter.

What conditions are attached to my licence?
The conditions of licence are contained within the the Cinema Pack which can be found in the related content area of the website.

A copy of the conditions of licence for cinema licence will be issued to you if your licence is granted. The council requires all licenceholders to have a thorough understanding of these conditions and they should be kept as they form part of your licence.

How long does the licence last for?
Applications for cinema licence are granted for a period of one year and require to be renewed annually.