Renfrewshire Council

Neighbourhood services for council tenants

What neighbourhood services can help with, how to contact them, other council housing related services.

What neighbourhood services can help with

We're housing staff for Renfrewshire council's tenants.

We can help with:

  • issuing new rent payment cards
  • providing paper forms for setting up direct debits and standing orders, for you to complete and return
  • rent arrears and managing your rent debt to us
  • investigating noise nuisance and antisocial behaviour, if caused by a council tenant
  • advising on benefits and making a referral to see an Advice Works advisor
  • garden assistance
  • home contents insurance
  • housing application enquiries, including sheltered housing
  • telling us about tenancy changes, including anyone moving in or out of your home, ending your tenancy
  • telling us about a change in your circumstances
  • permissions for things like having a pet or putting up a fence or hut
  • applying for Discretionary housing payments.

Contact neighbourhood services

Call 0300 300 0222 and choose the option for your local housing office, or email your local housing office:

You can book a face-to-face visit at our Paisley and Johnstone offices. You'll need to phone to book an appointment.

Tell us if you need information to be sent to you in another format; for example, Braille, large print, or tape/CD, or if you need information to be provided in another language.

Contact details for other housing related services

How to contact other housing related services: