Renfrewshire Council

How to apply for housing benefit

Types of housing benefit, who can get it, when you apply, after you've applied, other ways to claim housing benefit.

Types of housing benefit

If you need help to pay your rent, you can claim Housing Benefit.  

There are two types of benefits:

  • rent allowance: claim this if you are renting from a private landlord or housing association
  • rent rebate: claim this is you are renting from Renfrewshire council

Who can get housing benefit

To qualify for a housing benefit claim you must:

  • usually be resident in the property
  • occupy the property as your home
  • be required to pay rent for the property 

When you apply

When you apply, you may also need to provide us with:

  • evidence of your identity
  • your national insurance number
  • details of all income you are in receipt of
  • proof of all capital and savings, if your capital is over £5,500, and
  • proof of your rent (lease agreement and current rent for Housing Benefit and local housing allowance)  

We will also need this information for your partner, if you have one, and anyone else living within your household.

Don't delay your application while you gather together your evidence as we will allow up to one month after you submit your claim for you to get them to us.

You should make your claim as early as possible.

Apply online for housing benefit

After you've applied

It is very important that you continue to pay your rent and Council Tax while we process your applications. You may receive little or no benefit and if you do not pay you will fall in to arrears.

Other ways to claim housing benefit

you can claim Housing Benefit at the same time as you claim:

  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit.

Your Jobcentre Plus office/Pension Service office will forward us your claim form. We will contact you directly if we need further details.

If you don't claim any of these benefits, you can pick up an application form from your local council office or call us to request a form be sent to you.

We can visit you at home if you are housebound or if you cannot come to our offices because you are infirm or disabled.