Renfrewshire Council

Permissions to make changes to your council house

What permissions you need from us if you are making changes to your council home.

What happens in and around your home could affect other people or other homes.

As a result, council tenants must have our permission before doing certain things.

You will need permission from us to:

  • build a garage
  • build a garden hut or greenhouse
  • exchange your home with someone else
  • keep a dog or other large pet
  • lay a driveway
  • installing an aerial or satellite dish
  • leave you home for more than four weeks
  • keep pigeons and putting up a pigeon loft
  • carry out any structural alterations.
  • change any of the fixtures or fittings, for example, change the doors or windows, install central heating, fitted kitchen or laminated flooring.
  • transfer your tenancy to someone else.
  • run a business from your home.
  • take in a lodger in your council house.

You should not make any changes in our around your home until you have received permission, as this would be a breach of your tenancy conditions.

If you are unsure if you need permission or would like advice on applying, contact your local neighbourhood housing services.