Renfrewshire Council

End your Council tenancy

You must give us at least 28 days notice if you are ending your council tenancy, what to do when you leave your property.

Let us know as soon as possible

If you want to end your tenancy, you must contact your local Neighbourhood Services office at least 28 days before you plan to leave your home.

We will ask you to confirm this in writing to us, or by completing an end of tenancy form. Contact your local neighbourhood services office - see the contact details at the end of the page.

If you don't give us 28 days written notice, we will charge you four weeks rent from the date you return the keys of the property.

If you had already told us that you want to end your tenancy but your move has been delayed, please get in touch to arrange a later termination date.

When you leave your property

We expect you to leave your home in good condition.  If there is damage to your home or if we need to arrange to remove things you have left behind, we may charge you for this.

If you've made certain improvements to your home, you may be entitled to compensation when you end your tenancy, as long as you had our permission to carry out the work.

You must:

  • have had our written permission to make any improvements before you started the work; and
  • keep any bills relating to the improvements you have made.

If you carry out alterations or improvements to the property without our permission, and we have to pay to put the property back to its original state, we may charge you for this.