Renfrewshire Council

Adapting your home

If you or someone you live with has difficulty getting in and out of your home, it may be possible to adapt your house to make it more suitable for your needs.

Firstly you will need an assessment of your circumstances by one of our Occupational Therapists to see what sort of difficulties you are having in your home and what might be the best way of helping you. To arrange this, please contact the Health & Social Care Partnership (HSCP) through the Adult Service Request Team (ASeRT):

Applying for adaptations

Anyone in your household who has difficulty in getting in, out or around your home can apply for help with adaptations. If you have a disabled child under 16 years old in the property, the person with parental responsibility for the child should make the application.

If your home is specially adapted to meet your needs, you may be entitled to a property value banding reduction on your council tax.

Temporary adaptations

If the Occupational Therapist recommends a temporary adaptation to your home, the cost of this may be met from the Council's social work budget. If you are a tenant of the Council, a registered social landlord or a private rented landlord, you'll often need your landlord's permission before work can begin, and this may cause a delay. Once permission is given, estimates are requested and resources permitting, an order is placed.

Permanent adaptations

If you are a council or housing association tenant and the occupational therapist recommends a permanent adaptation to your home, details of the work will be passed to your landlord. If your landlord has adequate funds available to carry out the work, they will order and supervise the work. They will also check the completed adaptation to make sure that the workmanship is satisfactory.

If you live in owner-occupied or private rented housing and the occupational therapist recommends a permanent adaptation to your home, details of the work will be sent to the Owner Services Team within the Environment, Housing and Infrastructure Service. You may be eligible for an improvement grant from the council to help you meet the costs of the work and your occupational therapist will help you to apply for this grant.

If you live in a privately rented house, you will need to get your landlord's agreement before starting any works, however your landlord cannot refuse to give you permission without good reason. You can also find additional information about adaptations in the private housing section of our website.

You may also be interested in visiting the Living Made Easy website, which provides impartial advice and information for older and disabled people, carers and care professionals.