Renfrewshire Council

Housing Advice for Older People

You may find that as you get older you start to think more about where you live.

It might be that you want to stay where you are, but could do with some support to make life easier.

Perhaps repairs or adaptations would make your home safer and more comfortable or you might be thinking about moving somewhere smaller or nearer to family and friends. In some cases a move to specialist housing like sheltered or very sheltered housing may be what you are looking for.

Whatever your circumstances, there is plenty of advice and information to help you make an informed choice. This page provides you with basic information about the different options available and explains how to find out more about them.

Some people may have had contact with the Older Person's Housing Advice Service run by Bridgewater Housing Association. This project was temporary and ended in March 2016. However, the information on this page should assist you in sourcing further information and support to assist you in making an informed choice.

Housing Options

All customers who are looking for alternative accommodation are invited to discuss their housing options with a housing expert.

The discussion will include options that best suit each customer's housing need, such as council housing, other social housing providers, the private rented sector or owner occupation. 

Prospective tenants are also given financial information, including information on benefit changes and advice on other types of support available.

If the best option includes applying for council housing, we will fill out the application form during the discussion. This allows us to improve the way we match an applicant to a property, by looking at the areas you wish to live in and the availability of properties within these areas that meet your needs. We will also discuss any support needs you may have as well as any other requirements.

To make an appointment for a Housing Options interview, please call one of the offices below (contact details are at the bottom of this page):

  • Paisley Neighbourhood Services

  • Johnstone Neighbourhood Services

  • Renfrew Neighbourhood Services

  • Housing Advice and Homeless Services

The Council also employs a specialist Housing and Disabilities Advisor who can provide information and advice to older and/or disabled people in more complex cases, for example those that relate to hospital discharge, or to people who are housebound. A member of staff will make a referral to them on your behalf where appropriate. This Advisor is based in Housing Advice Services and can be contacted using the details noted at the bottom of this page.

Sheltered Housing and Very Sheltered or Extra Care Housing

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is specifically designed to comfortably meet the needs of people who are aged 60 years or over.  These properties are easy to maintain and offer tenants the safety of living in a secure environment, while also enabling people to retain their independent lifestyle. You can find out more about this using the links on the right hand side of this page.

Very sheltered housing

This is sometimes known as 'very sheltered' or 'extra care' housing and generally has all the features of sheltered housing. However, residents are also provided with a greater level of care and support through additional warden cover, care in the home and with meals.  You can find out more about this using the links on the right hand side of this page.


If you or someone you live with has difficulty getting in and out of your home, it may be possible to adapt your house to make it more suitable for your needs. You can find out more about adaptations by using the links on the right hand side of this page.

Care and Repair Renfrewshire

Care & Repair Renfrewshire ( provides free and confidential advice and practical assistance to people who are older or have disabilities.

This service is available to older and disabled home owners and private tenants and can provide information on home repairs, adaptations and funding work to your home. Their contact details are available on the website noted above.

Care at Home and Reablement Services

The aim of care at home is to help vulnerable people of all ages live independently and securely in their own homes by providing personal and housing support service. You can find out more about this Service using the link on the right hand side of this page.