Renfrewshire Council

Council tax reductions on homes adapted for people with disabilities

Who can get this council tax reduction, what features your house must have, how to apply.

We may be able to reduce your council tax bill if your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a person with a disability who lives there.

We can lower the Council Tax band level so that you pay less. You can check your council tax band by signing in or registering for a MyAccount.

If you have an adapted property, your council tax band is lowered, for example from band C to band B.

If your adapted property is in band A, your council tax bill is reduced by 1/6th.

What features your house must have

Your home must have one of the features below, and it must be of vital or major importance to the disabled person's wellbeing

  • an extra kitchen or bathroom for the specific needs of the disabled persons
  • an extra room, not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet, that is mainly used by the disabled person and is required to meet their additional needs
  • enough indoor space for the disabled person to use a wheelchair, the wheelchair must be needed for day-to-day living indoors. 

We will need to make an initial home visit for any application for a council tax reduction. 

How to apply

You'll need to sign in or register for a MyAccount to apply for a disabled banding reduction. You only need an email address to register. 

We will be in touch arrange the home visit.