Renfrewshire Council

Temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO)

When you need a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO), planned and unplanned TTROs, how to apply for a TTRO, Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).

When you need a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO)

TTROs are required when roads or footways are temporarily to be closed, or when parking controls or speed limits are to be introduced.

This may happen for events like gala days or when roadworks take place.

Planned and unplanned TTROs

TTROs are for limited periods of time and don't need a consultation period. Notice is given instead.

Notice for works of 5 days duration or less involves laminated A4 authorised paper notices being posted at the closure location. This notice usually gives details of why, where, how long and any diversion routes that are being used.

For planned TTROs (depending on their impact), we will normally also place an advert in the local press, as this is required by legislation.

In emergency situations it is often not practicable to have notices posted before the road is closed but we aim to do this within 48 hours of an incident.

How to apply for a TTRO

To apply for a TTRO, download the TTRO application form [88KB] and return it to us at

Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs)

Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) are made to ensure a road is being used in a safe, efficient manner.  

Types of restrictions include:

  • speed limits
  • waiting and loading
  • weight and access restrictions
  • one-way streets.

You can see the list of TROs we are processing on the Tell Me Scotland website.