Renfrewshire Council

Noise nuisance

How to make a complaint about noise, dog barking, noise from children, burglar alarms, industrial and commercial noise.

How to make a complaint about noise

If you have a problem with domestic noise, you can make a complaint to our Noise Enforcement Team. 

An officer will investigate your complaint and, where noise is caused by antisocial behaviour and is found to exceed permitted levels, the perpetrator may be issued with a warning notice under the Antisocial Behaviour (Scotland) Act 2004

Failure to comply with a warning notice may result in a £100 fixed penalty notice being issued.

You can call the Noise Enforcement Team on 077 6898 8186 from:

  • 8.45am to 4.45pm, Mondays to Thursdays
  • 8.45am to 3.55pm on Fridays

Outwith these hours, you can call Police Scotland on 101 about noise complaints.

Noise from children

Everyday noise from play or family life involving children is not antisocial behaviour and is classed as normal living noise.

In certain circumstances involving excessive noise, we may investigate the complaint.

If you have concerns about the welfare of a child or young person you can get more information and advice on our child protection page.

Dog barking

What you can do about dog barking, taking legal action, what happens at a court hearing.

Dog barking

Burglar alarms

Complaints are regularly received about noise from burglar alarms. Let the council and police know who holds a key for your alarm system. 

This can be done by filling out a burglar alarm notification form [471KB] and sending completed copies to environmental services and Police Scotland. This will allow us to contact the key holder and have the alarm checked.

Industrial and commercial noise

Noise from industrial or commercial premises, such as construction sites, pubs and clubs or mobile food outlets, is a statutory nuisance complaint.

To report noise from an industrial or commercial premises, contact our Environmental Improvements Team about at email or call 0300 300 0380.