Renfrewshire Council

Change of Vehicle for private hire car licence

Apply to change your vehicle

Applications are submitted electronically with supporting documents being uploaded and verified. Payment will also be made via the system. 

Apply for a Change of Vehicle for Private Hire Car Licence

What documents you need to provide

You need to provide:

  • a bill of sale or vehicle registration document (this must be in the name of the licenceholder or, if there is a leasing agreement in place, the lessee's name should appear)
  • a vehicle inspection pass certificate from the Council's inspection centre at Underwood Road, Paisley
  • an MOT certificate (if the vehicle is over three years old); Guidance on private hire vehicle inspections can be found under related documents;
  • a comprehensive insurance certificate and schedule showing private hire use. This must be in the name of the licenceholder or, if there is a leasing agreement in place, the lessee
  • a leasing agreement (if applicable).

How much the application fee is

Information on fees for all licences can be found under related articles - click on 'civic application fees'.

Please note you will have to pay a fee(s) for any new plate(s) need for your vehicle.

What criteria must be met

Renfrewshire Council has various polices for vehicles. The Civic Enforcement Officer can provide more detail.

The main polices affecting you when making an application are:

  • Types of vehicle to be used as a private hire car are - four-door saloon, five-door hatchback or estate vehicle with a minimum width across the back seat of 48 inches. Alternatively, a multi-persons vehicle (MPV) of a type approved by the licensing authority;
  • any colour other than white;
  • vehicles must be less than seven-years-old from the date of first registration, unless it is an MPV and wheelchair accessible. In that case the vehicle should be less than eight-years-old from the date of first registration.

How long the application process takes

When your application is lodged, and fee(s) paid, we aim to process your application and issue a replacement plate and stickers within 48 hours.

How to arrange a vehicle inspection

Before submitting your change of vehicle application, you need to arrange for your proposed vehicle to be inspected.

You can book your inspections on our website.

After your vehicle is inspected

Once your vehicle has been inspected and has passed, you will be given an inspection pass certificate. You must send this along with the other documents you need to apply for your change of vehicle to

How new plates and stickers are sent

For a new plate to be issued you must return the old one to the Customer Service Centre. If you are unable to return the old plate you must confirm in writing the reason why you are unable to do so. 

There is a pro-forma form that can be completed if you are unable to return your plate. Please complete this when collecting your new plate and stickers.

Please note there is a separate fee for any new plates and/or stickers when issued.

Collection of plates and stickers is by appointment only.

How long a licence last for

Once the application has been processed the licenceholder will receive a new licence in the post to reflect the change of vehicle.

The licence will expire on the same date as the existing one.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.