Renfrewshire Council

Change of Vehicle for taxi licence

Apply to change your vehicle

Applications are submitted electronically with supporting documents being uploaded and verified. Payment will also be made via the system. 

Apply for a Change of Vehicle for Taxi Licence

What documents you need

You will need to provide:

  • a bill of sale or vehicle registration document (this must be in the name of the licenceholder or, if there is a leasing agreement in place, the lessee's name should appear)
  • a vehicle inspection pass certificate from the Council's inspection centre at Underwood Road, Paisley
  • an MOT certificate (if the vehicle is over one-year-old); Guidance on taxi vehicle inspections can be found under related documents
  • a comprehensive insurance certificate and schedule showing public hire use. This must be in the name of the licenceholder or, if there is a leasing agreement in place, the lessee
  • a leasing agreement (if applicable).

The application fee

Information on fees for all licences can be found under related articles - click on 'civic application fees'.

Please note you will have to pay a fee(s) for any new plate(s) needed for your vehicle.

Application criteria

Renfrewshire Council has various polices for vehicles. The Civic Enforcement Officer can provide more detail.

The main polices affecting you when making an application are:

  • Types of vehicle to be used must be on our approved vehicle list;
  • must be coloured white;
  • must be less than eight-years-old from the date of first registration;
  • must be subject to six-monthly inspections from the time they are five-years-old from the date of first registration.

How long will my application take?

When your application is lodged and fee(s) paid, we aim to process your application and issue you with replacement plates within 24 hours.

Arranging your vehicle inspection

Before submitting your change of vehicle application, you need to arrange for your proposed vehicle to be inspected.

Inspections are now booked online. Click here to book.

What happens after the vehicle inspection

Once your vehicle has been inspected and has passed, you will be given an inspection pass certificate. You must send this along with the other documents you need to apply for your change of vehicle to the Customer Service Centre.

Getting your new plates

For new plates to be issued you must return the old ones to the Customer Service Centre. If you are unable to return the old plates you must confirm in writing the reason why you are unable to do so.

There is a pro-forma form that can be completed if you are unable to return your plates. Please complete this when collecting your new plates.

Please note there is a separate fee for any new plates when issued.

Collection of plates is by appointment only.

Receiving your new licence

Once the application has been processed the licenceholder will receive a new licence in the post to reflect the change of vehicle.

How long your licence lasts

The licence will expire on the same date as the existing one.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents.