Renfrewshire Council

Making an insurance claim against the council

If you experience damage, loss or harm in relation to yourself or your belongings, you may wish to make a claim for compensation against the council.

There are two ways in which you can proceed with a claim. One option is to claim through your own insurer and the other option is to claim directly against the council. Both these options are explained below. You should read both options and decide which is best for you.

Claiming through your own insurers

If you make a claim through your own insurer, your insurer will most likely cover your loss on a 'new for old basis' and then seek to recover the costs from the council. If the council is proven to have been legally liable for your loss then your Insurer will recover both their own costs and any excess payment you have made to them. Your premium payments should not be affected if the council is found to be legally liable for your loss.

Claiming directly to the council

If you wish to make a claim for compensation directly to the council, you must complete the council's standard 'Public Liability Claim Form' and send this to the address provided below.

You can download the form and information pack from the Related Documents section. 

Completed claim forms should be emailed to or posted to:

Finance & Business Services (Insurance Claims)
Renfrewshire Council
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Paisley PA1 1LQ


There are some important points to note if you wish to make a claim directly to the council:

1. A claim from a member of the public can only be progressed if we receive the formal Public Liability Claim Form. We do not take details over the phone in case we misinterpret any of the information you give us.

2. When we receive your claim form, it is logged, assigned a council claim reference number and is then passed to our insurers or appointed claims handlers. The insurer or claims handler reviews the claim and makes a decision as to whether the council is legally liable for the loss or not. You will therefore receive a letter either from Zurich Municipal (our insurer), or from a claims handling company, Gallagher Bassett International (GBI), firstly acknowledging receipt of your claim and later telling you the outcome of your claim.

3. For claims involving injury and where the sum claimed is up to £25,000 the process should take no more than 90 days for a decision to be made on whether compensation is to be offered or not. For injury claims above £25,000 the process may take longer. For claims not involving any injuries, the process should be shorter than 90 days however it should be noted that all claims are assessed on a case-by-case basis and timescales may vary if for example the claim is very complex or is received at a time of the year where there are higher volumes of weather-related claims to be processed.

4. If the council is found to be legally liable for your loss, the council's liability is limited to the value of the loss immediately prior to your incident. In other words, any payments made will not be on a 'new for old basis' as would be the case through your own insurers.

5. If you claim benefits, any payment made to settle your claim might affect benefits payments and any settlement that is paid to you must be declared.

6. The council may explore an option to use the payment of a claim to recover any current debt that you may owe to Renfrewshire Council (such as any council tax arrears).

General enquiries

Any general insurance enquiries can be made by calling the Customer Service Unit on 0300 300 0300