Renfrewshire Council

Prepare for winter or severe weather

How to find your nearest grit bin, request a grit bin refill, how to prepare for flooding, where to find flood warnings and how to avoid frozen or burst pipes and who to contact in an emergency.

We want to make sure everyone is #RenReady this winter.

As a council, we are prepared to deal with winter weather conditions in advance, during and after to ensure that we keep you safe and moving throughout the winter period.

You can also ensure you are prepared to deal with adverse weather by taking steps to plan in advance.

See Met Office weather warnings.

Snow and ice 

How to request a grit bin, request a refill of your nearest grit bin, how to borrow snow clearing equipment and how we work to keep you moving during the winter months.

Grit bins

Find your nearest grit bin using our online map.

Request a grit bin refill via our roads and lighting form and we'll get to it as soon as we can.

Road gritting and snow clearance

We are responsible for maintaining the public road network in Renfrewshire, with the exception of the motorways and trunk roads (M8, A8 at Langbank, A737 and Erskine Bridge) which are the responsibility of Transport Scotland.

As part of our maintenance duties, we provide 24-hour cover to respond to snow and ice using a fleet of specialist gritting vehicles that spread rock salt on the roads to prevent ice forming, or use ploughs to remove snow during heavy periods of snowfall.

Find out more about our gritting routes.

Paths and driveways

Keeping paths and driveways clear ensures that access to local services is maintained for everyone.

You can borrow a grit spreader, snow shovel and grit from our Team up to Clean up community caddies. Find out more about borrowing equipment.

Supporting those around you

If you're worried about a relative or elderly neighbour, contact us on 0300 300 0300 or call the Age UK helpline on 0800 678 1602 (8am to 7pm every day). 

If you're concerned the person may have hypothermia, contact NHS 111.

For more tips on preparing and coping in the winter months, visit the Ready Scotland website.


How to prepare for flooding, what to do in an emergency and where to find flood warnings.

Report blocked drains or severe flooding

Blocked drains and severe flooding can be reported to us anytime using our online service. Report a blocked drain or flooding issue online.

If it is an emergency, please call 0300 300 0380.

Find out if you are in an area at risk of flooding

To find out if you live in a flood risk area:

How to prepare for flooding

Plan ahead for flooding by visiting the Ready Scotland website.

It includes:

  • How to prepare a food plan and family emergency kit.
  • Steps to take to prepare your home for flooding.
  • What you need to remember during a flooding incident.

Our priorities during a flooding incident

Our priority is to act immediately on any threat or danger to life and we work closely with the emergency services in sharing our resources.

  • We will have teams on site at known hotspots to clear standing water and clear drains that have been overwhelmed.
  • We may have teams working to take down dangerous trees should the flooding be accompanied by gale force winds.
  • Evacuation from an area by the council or emergency services is done only when absolutely necessary.
  • In the event of evacuation, we will set up a rest centre close by to accommodate you.

How to recover from a flooding incident

Recovery information and advice is available via the Ready Scotland website.

It includes:

  • Steps to take before attempting to re-enter your home.
  • Tips on who to contact for help.
  • Resources for those affected by flooding.

Avoid frozen pipes

How to avoid frozen or burst pipes, report a housing repair and who to contact in an emergency.

Avoid frozen or burst pipes

Ensuring pipes and water tanks are insulated is an easy, affordable way to protect your home from winter weather.

Find more information about this on the Scottish Water website, including useful resources and videos.

In the event of frozen or burst pipes:

  • Turn off the stop valve immediately. This is usually located under the sink or close to the hot water system.
  • Turn on all cold taps to drain the system. Do not turn on hot taps as this can cause the hot water cylinder to collapse.
  • Flush the toilet(s)
  • Switch off the central heating and immersion heater.
  • Collect water in the bath for washing and flushing the toilet.

Ensure that you have a number for a registered plumber in the event that your pipes do freeze or burst.

If the issue is with a burst water main, call Scottish Water on 0345 601 8855.

Council tenant information

Find out more about preparing your home for winter.

Report non-emergency repairs via our online form. This service allows you to report routine repairs anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This should only be used for repairs inside your home.

All emergency housing repairs should be reported by telephone on 0300 300 0300.

Fallen trees

In the event of a dangerous fallen tree, phone 0300 300 0380.