Renfrewshire Council

If you get too much council tax reduction

What happens if:

  • you don't tell us about a change in your circumstances
  • we may pay you too much council tax reduction
  • we award you too much housing benefit.

This could happen if you have a change to your circumstances which means your entitlement to reduction or benefit is reduced.

If you don't tell us about your change in circumstances, we will continue to award your council tax reduction or pay your housing benefit based on your previous circumstances.

If this happens, you may be asked to repay in full.

The following are a few examples of the changes we need to know about:

  • changes in income of you, your partner or any other person living with you
  • if you change your address
  • anyone moving into or out of your household (including the birth of a baby)
  • changes to savings/capital or if your capital exceeds £16,000 
  • if you start to pay child care costs, or there is a change in the amount of child care costs you already pay
  • any child who ceases to be in full-time education
  • if you stop receiving Child Benefit of any child living with you
  • if you or your partner go into hospital
  • if you or your partner are taken into custody
  • any absence from home (when the absence is, or is likely to be, more than 13 weeks)

If in doubt, get in touch with us at or call us at 0300 300 0204.