Renfrewshire Council

Request a review of your council tax reduction

If you are dissatisfied with the Council Tax Reduction decision made by Renfrewshire Council you can write to us to request a review.

You must do this within two months of the decision.

What happens with a review

A review will consider the amount of income a person has with the amount that a person needs to live on (known as their applicable amount). This will vary depending on the circumstances of the individual and their dependants.

The review request must state the reasons why the individual thinks the Council Tax Reduction decision is incorrect.

The local authority must consider the request and reply with a decision in writing within two months. In Renfrewshire a request for a review can be made at one of our Customer Service Centres or can be sent to:

Renfrewshire Council
Benefit Services
Cotton Street
Paisley PA1 1AN

Or you can email it to

Council Tax Reduction Review Panel

If after receiving your review decision from us, you remain dissatisfied then you can ask for an independent ruling from the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel who will conduct a further review.

The Review Panel is an independent body which is in addition to the Scottish Tribunals Service, providing an additional review service to safeguard individual's rights to administrative justice when assessing individual's eligibility for Council Tax Reduction. They will consider the facts presented to them and give an independent ruling as to whether the decision made by us is correct or not.

An application for further review should be made directly by the applicant or their representative in writing to the following address:

Council Tax Reduction Review Panel
4th Floor
1 Atlantic Quay
45 Robertson Street
G2 8JB

A Review by the Review Panel can only be requested after we have carried out an internal review.

The only exception to this is if you do not receive a written response from us within two months of you writing to us requesting a review. If this occurs, you or your representative can make a request in writing for an independent ruling from the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel. 

Application forms

Application forms are available on the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel website.