Renfrewshire Council

National Entitlement Card (NEC) for people with disabilities

If you have a registered disability and meet the eligibility criteria, you are entitled to free bus travel in Scotland and reduced fares on coaches, trains and the Subway in the Strathclyde area.

If you need a companion to help you use public transport, your National Entitlement Card (NEC) will also allow them to travel for free with you if you meet eligibility criteria.  

From 1 April 2021 children under the age of five, with a disability, can access free bus travel using the National Entitlement Card (NEC). Their accompanying companion can also travel free with them. 

See the eligibility criteria on the Transport Scotland website.

How you apply

At the moment, it's not possible to apply in person at your local social work office or at the council's Customer Services Centre.

You can download an application form (PDF) from the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) website.

You'll need to complete the form and include:

  • a recent passport size photograph - you can include a digital photo or scan your photo
  • proof of age
  • proof of disability entitlement
  • proof of your current address.

You can send a copy of your disability entitlement letter or a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) as proof of your disability entitlement. 

See the National Entitlement Card (NEC) website for a list of acceptable proofs for identity, photographs and address

Send your application form to SPT by email at or by post to:

Concessionary Travel Card Unit
Buchanan Bus Station
10 Killermont Street
G2 3NW 

You can also get an application form sent to you if you call

  • Renfrewshire Council on 0300 300 0300 and select option 5, then option 1
  • the SPT Concessionary Travel Card office on 0141 333 3211 

You should check the SPT website for updates before going to the SPT Concessionary Travel Card desk at Buchanan Bus Station, as it may be closed due to coronavirus protection measures.

It normally takes up to 4 weeks from when we receive your application to get your card.

If your card is lost, damaged or stolen

Contact SPT on 0141 333 3211 or email if you need a replacement card. 

If your details have changed

If you need to change your photo, name or address on your NEC, contact SPT at or call 0141 333 3211.

If you need to renew your card

If your card has expired or is due to expire, you need to renew your card through SPT at or call 0141 333 3211.

You should apply at least five weeks before your card expires for SPT to provide you with a new card.

When you contact SPT, you'll need to tell them your

  • date of birth
  • card number
  • address, including your postcode.

You'll also need to provide proof of eligibility to renew your card. You can see what types of proof of eligibility you can use on page 2 of the SPT renewal form (PDF)

There are more details about renewing your NEC on the SPT website.