Renfrewshire Council

Your responsibilities as a private landlord

When you become a private landlord, houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMOs), anti-social behaviour, empty homes.

When you become a private landlord

There are many rules and regulations that must be met when letting out a private property or becoming a private landlord.

You can find out information about private rented sector reforms on the Scottish Government website.

If you fail to meet any of your legal obligations as a Landlord, your tenant can raise this with the Housing and Property Chamber of the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland.

Where the Housing and Property Chamber establish that the landlord has not met the requirements of the repairing standard or complied with their duties set out in relevant housing law, they can take enforcement action which might include serving a Rent Penalty Notice.

Landlords who fail to maintain their private rented property risk being removed from the register of landlords.

See the Housing and Property Chamber website for more information about your responsibilities for repairs.

The following Private Residential Tenancy YouTube videos may be helpful

Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

If you rent your property out to three or more unrelated people, you will need a Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) licence. Before an HMO licence can be granted, you must be able to show that:

  • you meet your responsibilities in relation to common repairs
  • all property is clean and well maintained
  • all relevant gas and electrical certification is up to date, and
  • fire escape routes are well maintained

Antisocial behaviour

All landlords have a responsibility for monitoring and dealing with complaints relating to anti social behaviour by their tenants or their visitors. The Council has a Community Safety Service which investigates complaints of anti social behaviour.

Details of the Community Safety Service are available on the Community Safety webpage.


Landlords cannot evict tenants from their property unless they follow certain legal procedures.

Legislation under Section 11 of the Homelessness Persons Act 2003 also requires landlords to notify the council of their intention to evict tenants.

Empty homes

Renfrewshire Council has a More Homes Officer who can work with owners of empty properties to provide assistance and advice to bring properties back into use.

Find out more options for owners of empty homes.