Renfrewshire Council

Help with paying your rent

What to do if you are having problems paying your rent, other help available, claiming benefits or accessing crisis grants.

If you having problems paying your rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent, please let us know on 0300 300 0222. We can provide you with advice and support about benefits and assistance which may be available and can discuss an appropriate payment plan with you.

We can also give you advice about

  • repayment arrangements
  • housing benefits
  • money and bills
  • debt management
  • welfare rights issues.

Other ways to get help

We can also refer you to other agencies who can provide specialist advice and support.

There is a fund available called Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) which can offer short-term financial assistance to tenants who get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit who are having difficulty meeting their rent charge. 

You can discuss this when you speak to our Neighbourhood Services team.

We also have a  Debit Advice leaflet [289KB] that provides useful information on:

  • how to deal with your debt
  • the six stages of managing debt, and
  • how to complete a financial statement.

A financial statement is included in the leaflet, you can complete and either post or email to the address below.  If you require help in completing the form  you can phone us on freephone 0800 085 9126.

Benefits and crisis grants

You may be able to claim benefits, if your employment circumstances have changed, or apply forĀ a crisis grant.

See what other money, benefits and financial help you could get.