Renfrewshire Council

Help for older or disabled home owners and private tenants

The small repairs service, adaptations to your home, permission from your landlord for adaptations.

The small repairs service

The small repairs services is available to residents of Renfrewshire if you are:

  • aged 60 or over
  • disabled or
  • the parent or guardian of someone who gets a disability or sickness benefit including Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Attendance Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Labour for small repairs will be paid for by Care and Repair, such as:

  • minor joinery repairs
  • small plumbing repairs
  • small electrical repairs

This means you only need to pay for the cost of materials used.

They can also give advice if you are worried about a problem with your property or just need some technical advice.

For more information, visit the Care and Repair Renfrewshire website.

Adaptations to your home

If you or someone you live with has difficulty getting in and out of your home, it may be possible to adapt your house to make it more suitable for your needs. 

An occupational therapist from our social work services can visit you to discuss your requirements and will be able to suggest adaptations that can help you get the most out of your home.

The council may be able to help you with the cost of any equipment or temporary adaptations that the occupational therapist recommends. And, if a permanent adaptation is recommended, you may be entitled to a grant to help you meet the cost of this. 

This grant will cover 80% of the cost of the work and, depending on your financial circumstances, you may even be eligible for a higher level of grant support for up to 100%.

Find out more about adapting your home.

Permission from your landlord for adaptations

If you are a tenant of a private landlord, you will need your landlord's permission to do the adaptation, but your landlord should not withhold permission without a good reason as you have a right to adapt the property you live in.

If your home is specially adapted to meet your needs, you may also be entitled to a property value banding reduction on your Council Tax. Please see our Council Tax page for more information.

If you have any questions about home adaptations or would like to find out more, please contact us by emailing