Renfrewshire Council

Permission to use a raised structure (Section 89)

Building Standards handles inspecting and issuing consent for raised structures under Section 89 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

This consent is required for all raised structures which take the form of a platform, stand, staging or other similar structures. Common examples include:

  • temporary grandstands at sporting events;
  • staging at pop concerts and other public events (including trailers used as a stage);
  • a circus; or
  • media platforms.

To apply, complete the application form (Section 89 Form).

Applications can be made online via the Businesslink website. To access, you need to register through the Government gateway site. A downloadable Section 89 Form and a link to the Businesslink website can be found under related documents.

Fees apply at a base rate of £300 for an occupant capacity of up to 2000 people. Where the occupant capacity is greater than 2000, the fee increases by £100 per 1000 people or part thereof. For small events where attendance is fewer than 1000, the fee will be calculated on a time basis. If the structure is for a local gala day or similar event, the Council will have discretion in charging a fee.

NB applications will not be processed until the appropriate fee has been paid in full.

Applications must be accompanied by a Design Certificate (signed by a Structural Engineer) and a detailed plan to a scale of 1:100 including elevations and cross sections.

A specification showing sizes and type of materials used in the structure must be included, along with escape routes including widths of passage, gangway and seatways, stair details (rise, going, pitch, handrails, etc.).

Once built, a Certificate of Completion of Erection and Inspection of a Raised Structure must be signed by a competent person. They must have experience in building such structures.

Any person or party who uses or permits the use of a raised structure without Council approval is guilty of an offence and may be liable, on a summary conviction, to a fine.

If you need further information, please contact Mr A MacCalman using the contact details below.

A manual register currently holds details of issued certificates and can be accessed by appointment. Again, please contact Mr A MacCalman or write to us using the contact details below.

Related documents