Renfrewshire Council

Where to get money and benefits advice

What we can help with, applying for benefits or other entitlements, how to contact Advice Works or Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), other help with money issues.

We're here to help you make the most of your money and get everything you're entitled to.

What we can help with

We know money worries can have a big affect on people's lives. We also know that it can be difficult to take the first step to sort out your finances. 

Our Advice Works team and Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help you if you're:

  • worried or struggling to pay your rent, mortgage, Council Tax or other bills
  • behind with any repayments
  • being chased by people you owe money to
  • having to choose between heating your home or buying food.

You can also talk to us if you:

  • need help budgeting your money
  • cannot see a way out of your money worries or debts.

Applying for benefits or other entitlements

We can make sure that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to including:

  • Universal Credit
  • Scottish Child Payment or Best Start Grants
  • Disability benefits
  • Pension Credit
  • Tax Credits
  • Young Carer Grant (for 16, 17 and 18 year olds)
  • Free School Meals or help to buy school clothing
  • paying less Council Tax if you qualify.

We'll go through your personal circumstances with you and work out if there's anything else you are entitled to claim.

We can also support you if you want to challenge a benefit decision or a Universal Credit sanction.

How to contact us

Advice Works

The Advice Works team offer free, confidential and independent advice on money and debt issues including budgeting, negotiating with creditors, and mortgage and rent arrears - as well as checking you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. 

To speak to the Advice Works team or arrange an appointment:

Our Advice Works team are available:

  • Mondays to Thursdays from 8.45am to 4.45pm
  • Fridays from 8.45am to 3.55pm.

Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau

Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau are a local, independent charity that provides free, impartial and confidential advice and information on problems with debt, money, housing, work, immigration, family and personal issues, welfare and benefits.

You can phone Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau on 0141 889 2121 or make an appointment on their website.

To contact Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau:

Appointments normally last around an hour and can be done by video or over the phone. The service is free and completely confidential.

Money and benefits advice in schools (School Support Service)

If you're a parent or carer with a child at secondary school or an Additional Support Needs (ASN) school, you can make an appointment with Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau for help with:

  • budgeting
  • benefits
  • debt
  • housing
  • employment
  • any other money worries.

If there are not appointments available on a day that suits you, you can book an appointment at any secondary or ASN school. It does not have to be the school your child goes to.

The advice is free, impartial, and confidential. You'll meet with a Citizens Advice Bureau advisor in a private room for your appointment.

To make an appointment, you can:

Other help with money issues

These organisations and services can also help with money issues:

If these issues are affecting your mental health, find out where you can get help and support.