Renfrewshire Council

What you can use the grant to repair a private historic building for

Using the grant for structural and external repairs, restoring external architectural details, professional fees or contingencies, what you can't use the grant for.

For structural and external repairs

You can use the grant for repairs to roofs, leadwork, rainwater goods, walls, structural works, windows and doors, fixing damp or rot.


This can include re-roofing with natural, traditional materials to match the historic roof covering. This should include re-using sound existing materials where possible. 

It also includes repairs to chimneys, including lining or rebuilding if structurally necessary. The chimney must be reinstated accurately to the historic height and profile. This could include replacement of the historic style of pot or can.


This includes repairs or replacement of leadwork, to the conservation standard of the Lead Sheet Association.

Rainwater goods

This includes repair or replacement of rainwater goods to match the historic material and sections. These are typically cast iron or sometimes lead, timber or stone.


You could use the grant towards:

  • repair of external stonework or brickwork, including decorative elements, to an appropriate specification
  • selective rebuilding of existing stonework or brickwork if structurally necessary, which usually involves using salvaged or new matching materials
  • structurally necessary re-pointing, which is kept to a minimum and uses appropriate mortar - you can't use the grant for comprehensive re-pointing for cosmetic reasons
  • external render, stucco or harling repairs and limited areas of renewal to an approved specification - you may be able to reinstate these types of coating if it has removed in recent years to the detriment of the performance and appearance of the building
  • repair or reinstatement of retaining walls, boundary walls or railings that contribute to the stability of the building or enhance the character of the wider village.

Structural works

You could use the grant towards:

  • consolidation or reinforcement of the existing structure using the most practicable conservative approach
  • limited reconstruction in line with the existing structure, if unavoidable and supported by documentary evidence
  • appropriate repairs to timber frames, roof structure, beams, floor joists and other structural timbers are potentially - but it must be based on a careful and comprehensive survey of the existing structure.

Windows and doors

You could use the grant towards the repair or, if necessary, replacement of external windows, doors and other external joinery which contributes to the character of the building. 

The original pattern and detail should be retained or reinstated. 

We will also consider the installation of well-designed secondary glazing.

Damp and rot

You could use the grant towards dry rot eradication and appropriate conservation approved timber preservation treatments. 

These must: 

  • be based on an analysis and specification by an independent consultant with conservation expertise - whose fees are also eligible for the grant
  • use non-destructive techniques and non-toxic applications where possible.

You can also get damp-proofing done by traditional methods, where damp is causing structural damage to the building. 

It is better to take damp eradication measures, such as improved drainage or the lowering of ground levels, where practical.

For restoration of external architectural details

You could use the grant to reinstatement external architectural detail, where the building is in otherwise good condition or will be repaired as part of the project, for example: 

  • ornamental metal work
  • decorative tiling
  • timber details
  • stone details.

Towards professional fees

You can use the grant towards professional fees providing the professional advisor:

For contingencies

This could include an extra amount set aside in the budget to deal with any unexpected costs, for example an repair job that that requires more work than initially estimated.

What you can't use the grant for

You can't use the grant for:

  • improvements to the fronts of shops, businesses or commercial premises - see the Retail Improvement Scheme for this type of proposal
  • routine maintenance and other minor repairs
  • alterations, extensions and internal work
  • demolition of historic fabric
  • upgrading or renewal of services, including underground drainage
  • stone cleaning and other similar treatments
  • works underway prior to approval of grant
  • professional fees incurred prior to grant approval
  • obtaining consents
  • paying VAT on anything associated with the repair.

Contact the Regeneration and Place Team at to ask about repairs you think the grant would cover.

See also: what help you can get with essential repairs to tenement buildings#.

Before you apply for the grant