Renfrewshire Council

Ukraine crisis

How you can support people from Ukraine, support for Ukrainian refugees, support for sponsors, what the council are doing.

On this page:

How you can support the people of Ukraine

There are two ways you can help. 

Make a donation

Organisations including the Red Cross are asking people to donate money rather than items to help Ukraine. Donating money means your support will reach the people who need it quickly and will allow organisations working in Ukraine to use it where it's most needed. 

Donations can be made through: 

Sponsor a refugee (Homes for Ukraine and Scottish Super Sponsor schemes)

You can register your interest in becoming a sponsor and providing accommodation for Ukrainian refugees through the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

The scheme allows charities, individuals, community groups and businesses to volunteer houses or rooms for refugees to live in for at least six months.

You can find out more about becomining a sponsor if you email our Refugee Resettlement team at

Support for Ukrainian refugees

UK Government information

If you or your friends and family have been affected by the war in Ukraine and need support, you can get information from the UK Government website: 

High commissions, embassies and consulates in the UK

The Ukraine Consulate in Edinburgh. It is open:

  • Monday, Wednesday and Friday (9am to 1pm) 
  • Tuesday (2pm to 6pm) 
  • Thursday - only for people who are disabled, pregnant or seriously ill (9am to 1pm) 

You can call the Consulate on 0131 556 0023 or email 

Other embassies

For information on all embassies, consulates and high commissions in the UK, visit the UK Government website. 

Scottish Refugee Council

You can contact the Scottish Refugees Council's free helpline on 0808 196 7274

Legal Advice

If you need advice and support on issues including employment, immigration or legal advice, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau

Local Support

For advice and support in Renfrewshire, contact: 

What you have a right to access

Find out what you have a right to access if you've been granted refugee status by the UK Government or if you're an asylum seeker in Scotland.

Health and safety

Call NHS24 on 111 if you need help with your physical or mental health. The advice helpline is open 24 hours a day. 

If you are concerned that someone is a victim of human trafficking, you can get information about human trafficking on the Police Scotland website.

Support for sponsors

Once you are approved as a sponsor, our Refugee Resettlement team will send you a welcome pack to support the refugees staying with you. They will also arrange to meet with the refugees once they have arrived in your home.  

If you're a sponsor and you need advice, email our Refugee Resettlement team. The team can give you another welcome pack if you need it.

What the council is doing

We want to do everything we can to help and support Ukraine and its people during this time. 

We are working with our partners to ensure we are ready to accept people seeking asylum and refuge and anyone who does arrive in Renfrewshire is given the help and support they need. 

We have also donated £10,000 to the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC). 

You can find out more about the Homes for Ukraine scheme and what councils will use the funding for on the Scottish Government website.