Renfrewshire Council

Pay for additional hours of nursery or childcare (wraparound care)

What additional (wraparound) nursery or childcare is, who can get it, how you purchase it, how to pay for it, how to apply, our decision.

What additional nursery or childcare you can purchase

You can purchase additional hours or sessions as well as your child's Apply for a free nursery or childcare place.

This can be during term time, extended hours during the day or during the year (such as school holidays).

You can also purchase early learning and childcare classes for children aged from birth to three years of age. This will depend on what is available at each nursery.

Who gets priority for additional (wraparound) childcare

We give priority to parents and carers where:

  • you get the same qualifying benefits as free school meals and clothing grants
  • both parents or a single parent is in employment, education, or training
  • one of the two parents or carers are in employment, education, or training

We also prioritise families with low incomes or from areas with fewer resources or opportunities.

How much wraparound care costs

You will be charged at the current rate for wraparound care set by the Council. The head of your preferred setting will inform you of the rate.

You can get a concession on the rates if:

  • you are a student in full time education
  • it is your second or next child or children going to the early learning centre or nursery
  • you are in receipt of any of these benefits:
    • Pension Guarantee Credit
    • Income Support
    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
    • Maximum working Tax Credit- income threshold applies
    • Tax Credit with a Disability Element
    • Council Tax Reduction Scheme
    • Housing Benefit
    • Employment and support allowance (Income Related)
    • Attendance allowance 
    • Disability Living Allowances (Child Element)
    • Universal Credit - income threshold applies
    • qualifying benefits in line with free school meals and / or clothing grants

How to pay for wraparound care

We will invoice you every four weeks.

You can make payments:

  • at our council offices
  • at your post office
  • by telephone
  • using childcare vouchers
  • tax free childcare (

You'll need to complete and sign an agreement to purchase additional (wraparound) childcare before your child takes up their place. This will be a legal contract between you and Renfrewshire Council.

Your child's place will then be reviewed every six months.

How to apply for wraparound care

You should contact the head of the early learning and childcare setting to discuss your request first.

Complete an application to purchase additional (wraparound) care and include the details of what hours or requirements you need.

The head of the nursery and early learning centre will review your application first. If they can offer you a place or the hours you want, your placement will then need to be approved by the Admissions Panel, who are responsible for the allocation of places.

The head of the nursery and early learning centre will let you know if your application has been successful or not. 

See a list of council-run nurseries and childminders admission panel areas for Renfrewshire.

Wraparound care in private and voluntary nurseries and childminders

Private and voluntary nurseries and childminders may provide wraparound places. You should contact funded providers directly for more information.

Our decision

We do our best to ensure that applications are treated fairly and transparently.

See our admissions policy for early learning, nursery and childcare.

If you are not happy with our decision or feel we have not considered your application properly, you should discuss this with the head of the early learning centre or nursery.

You can also contact Children's Services for more information or advice by email at, by phone on 0300 300 0170 or write to us at:

Children's Services
Council Headquarters
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Paisley PA1 1TZ