Renfrewshire Council

Apply for an additional year of free nursery or childcare

Who can get an additional year at nursery or childcare, deferring your child's place at primary school, applying for early entry to primary school.

Who can get an additional year at nursery or childcare

Children are automatically entitled to an additional year of funded early learning and childcare if:

  • they are still 4 years old on the date they are eligible to start school and
  • their fifth birthday is on or between the day after school starts in August and the end of February 2025.

If you wish to defer your child starting school, you can apply for their extra year of free nursery or childcare [125KB] . You should complete this form and return it to your nursery or childcare provider by Wednesday 31 January 2024. 

You can ask for your child to continue at their current nursery or childcare provider. If not, we will provide them with a place at one of our council run or council funded nurseries or childminders.

If you want your child to go to a private nursery or childminder not funded by us, you will have to pay for this cost.

Defer your child's place at primary school

You should still enrol your child at primary school by the closing date but let the school know that you want to defer their start at primary school for a year.

You can also contact Children's Services for more information or advice by email at, by phone on 0300 300 0170 or write to us at:

Children's Services
Council Headquarters
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Paisley PA1 1TZ

Early entry to school

If you would like your child to start school before their fifth birthday, you can find out what to consider and how to apply for early entry to school.