Renfrewshire Council

Who can apply for Housing Benefit

Who can apply for Housing Benefit, how much you could get, other benefits and financial help.

Who can apply for Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit. Only some people can make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

You can only make a new claim if you've reached State Pension age or you live in supported, sheltered or temporary housing. 

To apply for Housing Benefit, you must pay rent for the property and it is your main home.

Otherwise, you should apply for Universal Credit if you need help with housing costs. There may be other that you are entitled to as well.

Mixed age couples

If you're in a mixed-age couple, where one of you has reached State Pension age and the other has not, you will need to claim Universal Credit until you both reach State Pension age. 

If you've been getting Housing Benefit as a mixed age couple since before 15 May 2019, this continues unless your situation changes.

You can check your State Pension age on the GOV.UK website.

How much you could get

How much you get depends on:

  • if you're a Council tenant, Housing Association tenant, or a private tenant
  • how much rent you pay
  • your household income including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000)
  • your personal circumstances, for example, your partner, children or someone with a disability lives with you
  • if anyone in your household is a non-dependant - they are over 18, not in full time education, they work or they claim benefits.
  • how many rooms are in your home.

You can find out more about what Housing Benefit you'll get on the GOV.UK website.

Other benefits and financial help

If you need help with other housing costs, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

These are extra payments made to help with housing costs like rent shortfall, a rental deposit, rent in advance or removal costs.

Depending on your circumstances and needs, you can apply for a crisis grant or community care grant from the Scottish Welfare Fund.

You may also be entitled to other benefits if your circumstances change.

If you need longer term financial help, our can help.