Renfrewshire Council

Discretionary housing payments

If you need help to pay your housing costs, you be able to get a discretionary housing payment (DHP).

These payments are not a type of housing benefit or Universal Credit housing cost.

They are extra payments made to help with housing costs like some or all of a rent shortfall over a few weeks or a new tenancy rent deposit.

The Discretionary Housing Payments budget is limited each year and the payments can only be a short term solution to financial difficulties. If you need to find a longer term solution, we would recommend you seek support from Advice Works - details in the Related Articles section opposite.

Who qualifies for discretionary housing payments

Every case is different and depends on your individual circumstances. To qualify you must be:

  • entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs
  • able to show us you need help meeting your housing costs

How to apply

Apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) online

For more details read our  policy on discretionary housing payments [255KB] .