Renfrewshire Council

Dead animals

Report a car accident with an animal, report a dead animal to the Council, dead animals on private property, missing cats or dogs.

What you need to do depends on the type of animal and whether you were involved in an accident with it. 

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the Police on 101 if you hit a:

  • Dog
  • Cow/bull
  • Pig
  • Sheep or goat
  • Horse, donkey or mule

You must do so as quickly as you can whether the animal is killed or not.

You can report injured animals to the Scottish SPCA on 03000 999 999.

Report a dead animal to the Council

You can report any dead animals you find on the road or pavement to the local council.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

The Council has a duty to remove dead animals from public roads and footways and we aim to respond to any reported incidents within 24 hours. 

Complete the online form to report a dead animal or call us on 0300 300 0300.

Dead animals on private property

The Council does not uplift dead animals from private property.  This is the responsibility of the homeowner who should contact a private pest control or hygiene company to do so.

Small dead animals such as birds or rodents can be placed in refuse sacks and put in the grey bin for the next collection.

Missing cats or dogs

If you have lost a cat or dog, you can contact the Council's Animal Warden to see if it has been collected.

They are can be contacted, Monday to Friday, on 0300 300 0380.

All animals found will be taken to the SSPCA in Cardonald who can be reached on 03000 999 999.