Renfrewshire Council

Apply for a Community Care Grant

Community Care Grants help cover the costs of setting up or maintaining a home and support individuals and families facing exceptional pressure.

We can help with costs if:

  • you're leaving care or imprisonment and need help to start a settled home 
  • you've been homeless, or living an unsettled life, and need help to start a settled home 
  • you need support to stay out of care 
  • you're caring for someone who's been released from prison or a young offender's institution 
  • you're experiencing great pressure and need help to keep a settled home 
  • you're escaping domestic abuse 
  • a child's health is at risk. 

On this page: 

Apply for a Community Care Grant 

The Coronavirus has changed the way we work but we still want to help. For now, it's best to complete the form online using the link below: 

Apply online for a Community Care Grant

If you need a bit more help to apply, you can call us on 0300 300 0204 (Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 4.15pm, Friday 8.45am-3.25pm).  

Once you have applied, we will contact you within 15 working days to let you know if we are able to help. 

When we decide, we look at how the grant will help you to start or maintain a more settled life. 

Who can apply for a grant? 

You must be 16 or over to apply. Normally you should also be entitled to one of the following benefits, although this is not essential: 

  • Income Support/Job Seekers (Income based) 
  • Employment Support Allowance (Income related) 
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit/Saving Credit) 
  • Universal Credit. 

If your savings are less than £700, or less than £1200, if you are on a pension, you are more likely to qualify. 

Will I get a Grant if I apply? 

The amount of Scottish Welfare Fund funding we can spend each year is limited. This means that we can't help everyone who applies.  To help us decide, your application will be given a high, medium or low priority depending on your needs and circumstances. 

If you don't have any other way of paying for what you need, we can consider a grant, depending on priority.  

We will carry out checks to make sure that you need the items you have requested. These checks can include: 

  • obtaining confirmation from other departments and agencies involved in representing customers and or assisting them with their applications 
  • carrying out home visits prior to any award being made. 

When we can't help 

Unfortunately, you won't qualify for a grant if you: 

  • have made a claim for a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit and it is delayed. You can apply for a Short-Term Benefit advance instead. Contact the DWP on 0845 600 1506. 
  • have already received three crisis grants in the last 12 months. In exceptional circumstances it may be possible to offer a further one-off payment. 
  • have applied for the same grant in the last 28 days without a change of circumstances. 

Ask for a review 

If you aren't happy with our decision, there are some situations where you can ask us to review our decision