Renfrewshire Council

Tell us about tenancy changes if you're a private landlord

If you're a private individual landlord, you can tell us online of any changes in tenancy details or let us know if you've purchased a new buy to let property.

Register on MyAccount

You'll need to register for MyAccount. All you will need is an email address to get started. 

Register for MyAccount

When you register with MyAccount, you'll have:

  • Council Tax details updated in one working day 
  • new Council Tax bill issued quickly
  • no more calls 
  • no paper forms or postage
  • a track of Council Tax liability and apply for discount or exemption
  • auto email acknowledgment when you save or submit your online form
  • an online record of all the forms you submit
  • access to your information when you need it.

Once you have set up your MyAccount profile, go to the online form for private landlords

Make sure you have your Landlord's Registration Number.

What you need to tell us

You'll need to tell us:

  • contact details for tenants moving out
  • date they moved out
  • type of tenancy, length of tenancy
  • forwarding address 
  • contact details for the tenants moving in
  • date they moved in
  • how long the property was empty
  • where to send the bill

You'll receive an automatic email confirmation when the form is submitted and you can choose a callback option to fast track the tenancy update within one working day.

Why it's important to tell us about any tenancy changes

New tenants moving in

It often takes new tenants a while to tell us they've moved in. If you tell us straight away using our online form, we can update our records and send out a Council Tax bill to the new tenants. This reduces delays and the time that the owner is liable for the Council Tax.

Tenants moving out

If you have a forwarding address for the tenants that are moving out - it helps us recover any outstanding Council Tax for the property. Tenants don't always tell us that they have moved out and the Council Tax bill can sometimes be left unpaid. When we don't have a forwarding address we have to contact anyone who may have one. If you provide the forwarding address now - using our online form - it helps us maintain efficient recovery and minimise the cost of Council Tax administration.

Keeping track of tenancy changes

Using MyAccount to tell us about changes of tenancy creates a viewable record of all online forms you submit. This will ensure you can keep track of the dates in which you may have been liable for the Council Tax. 

Reduce paperwork, calls and visits

When you tell us about changes to tenants or properties with MyAccount there's no need to download or print any forms. We will be able to update the records quicker than if you call or email us and no need to visit council offices. It's a quick, secure and convenient way to make sure your tenancy and property details are current and correct.