Renfrewshire Council

Learning Disabilities

Social Work offers support to those with learning disabilities to live as independently as possible and provides a wide range of services for adults who are unable to provide these services for themselves. We have centres which offer day services, residential accommodation, respite facilities, home support and befriending services. We can also arrange support to those living in the community through working with voluntary agencies such as Enable, Quarriers and the Richmond Fellowship.

If someone needs any of these services, a social worker will carry out a community care assessment to identify their requirements and how best to meet them. The social worker will then try to ensure they are linked up with the service that best suits their needs.

If someone needs any of these services, a community care assessment will be carried out to identify their needs and how best to meet them. We will then try to ensure they are linked up with the service that best suits these needs.

We have recently established a new joint health and social work team for adults with learning disabilities. The team will cover all of Renfrewshire and it will bring together health staff from the Community Learning Disabilities Team with social work staff from area teams and other community care services. There are two sub-locality teams, one covering Paisley and the other West Renfrewshire. The team structure places the client at the centre of the service, with the joint team working in partnership with service users and carers to deliver high quality care.

The joining of health and social work services for adults with learning disabilities is seen as a natural progression, since both services already work in close partnership with one another. A fully integrated, co-located service will result in more comprehensive assessment, better communication and coordination of care, and improved access to the increasing range of services available to people with learning disabilities.

If you care for someone who has a learning disability, free advice and support is available to unpaid carers from local voluntary organisation Renfrewshire Carers Centre