Renfrewshire Council

Help available for those suffering from domestic abuse

If a person leaves their abusive partner, there are a number of measures designed to support them.

Income Support

This is a means-tested benefit that can be claimed if you have no income or a very low income. It is usually claimed by working age people who have children or have caring responsibilities. 

Employment & Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance can be claimed by people who are too sick to work.

Jobseekers Allowance

This is a benefit for people who are available to work.

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance

This helps people on low incomes to pay their rent. The amount of financial help you receive will depend on your income. However, if you rent in the private sector, the housing benefit may not cover all your rent.

Tax Credits

There are two types of tax credits: working tax credit and child tax credit.

  • Working tax credit provides added financial support for workers on a low income (whether employed or self employed), is paid directly into your bank account and can be claimed even if you do not have any children.
  • Child tax credit provides support for families and carers responsible for at least one child or young person and is paid in addition to any child benefit you might be receiving. Remember, you can claim child tax credit even if you are not working.

Social Fund

Jobcentre Plus have a Social Fund which you can apply to for financial help. There are three types of applications: a crisis loan, a budgeting loan or a community care grant. Crisis loans and budgeting loans have to be paid back, but a community care grant does not.