Renfrewshire Council

Help available for people affected by domestic abuse

Who to contact about domestic abuse, financial support for people affected by domestic abuse, other organisations who can help.

Who to contact

If you want advice or help, please phone and talk to us on 0300 300 0345 or email

You can also contact:

  • Police Scotland  - 999 for emergencies and 101 for non-emergencies
  • Scotland's 24-hour Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline  - 0800 027 1234
  • Galop LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0800 999 5428
  • Men's Advice Line - 0808 801 0327
  • Renfrewshire Women's Aid - 0141 561 7030 (support available 9am - 4pm)

Financial support for people affected by domestic abuse

Income Support

This is a means-tested benefit that can be claimed if you have no income or a very low income. It is usually claimed by working age people who have children or have caring responsibilities. 

Employment & Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance can be claimed by people who are too sick to work.

Jobseekers Allowance

This is a benefit for people who are available to work.

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance

This helps people on low incomes to pay their rent. The amount of financial help you receive will depend on your income. However, if you rent in the private sector, the housing benefit may not cover all your rent.

Tax Credits

There are two types of tax credits: working tax credit and child tax credit.

  • Working tax credit provides added financial support for workers on a low income (whether employed or self employed), is paid directly into your bank account and can be claimed even if you do not have any children.
  • Child tax credit provides support for families and carers responsible for at least one child or young person and is paid in addition to any child benefit you might be receiving. Remember, you can claim child tax credit even if you are not working.

Social Fund

Jobcentre Plus have a Social Fund which you can apply to for financial help. There are three types of applications: a crisis loan, a budgeting loan or a community care grant. Crisis loans and budgeting loans have to be paid back, but a community care grant does not.

Other organisations that can help