Renfrewshire Council

Tell Us Once

When someone dies, you an use the tell us once service, and we will contact the local council services and government departments for you to let them know.

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them.

One of these is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told.

Tell Us Once with Renfrewshire Council means that you can just tell us once, and these other organisations will be contacted.

How it works

When someone dies, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. 

Once that's done, you may need to contact other several organisations to give them the same information. We can give the information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.

After you have registered the death, you can use the Tell Us Once service. You will need to know certain information - see the list of information we need from you below. If you do not have all this information to hand, or you want to use the service after registration is complete, we can give you the Tell Us Once service number.

You can then use Tell Us Once online or call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308, Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.

Information we need from you

We need to know the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their date of birth and, if you have it, National Insurance number
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their driving licence or driving licence number
  • Their passport or passport number and town/country of birth
  • Details of Blue Badge if issued with one

We will also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage/civil partnership to the deceased)
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide information about them.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service as long as you have their permission to provide information about them and act on their behalf.


We are committed to ensuring that the information provided is protected. 

Our privacy statement tells you how the information you provide when using this service will be used and protected. Ask the Adviser if you wish to see the full privacy statement or you can read it on the website.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit, Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, or provide a service to you, have correct and up to date information about you.

What happens to the information

This information can be passed to any of of the organisations listed below.You can choose which of them you would like to notify:

Local councils

  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax 
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Libraries
  • Electoral services
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children's Services
  • Council Housing

Department for Work and Pensions

  • Pensions and Benefits

HM Revenue & Customs

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation

HM Passport Office

  • Passport

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

  • Driving licence

Ministry of Defence, Veterans UK

  • War Pensions Scheme

This list is subject to change. The most up-to-date list is available on the website.