Renfrewshire Council

Manager's process for carer's leave requests

What you need to check if you get a request for carer's leave, things to consider, approving or declining the request.

What you need to check first

When you receive a request for carer's leave from a team member, you should discuss their requirements with them first. 

Before you review their request, you should:

  • check they are listed on the Carers Register
  • confirm they are the primary carer and the details of their caring relationship
  • check they have at least 26 weeks continuous service
  • ask how many hours or days of carer's leave they want to take
  • confirm the dates their carer's leave will start and finish.

Things to consider

When making your decision, you should take into consideration:

  • the carer's relationship to their relative or partner
  • the nature of the relative or partner's illness
  • the expected duration of the leave
  • any operational impact or costs on service delivery 
  • if your team member's work needs to be redistributed.

You should inform your team member of your decision as soon as you can. You should not take more than 14 days to let them know the outcome. 

Approving or declining the request

If you approve the request for carer's leave, you'll need to:

  • tell your team member you've approved their request
  • record it the same way you record special leave
  • inform Customer and Business Services and Payroll 

If you refuse the request for carer's leave, you need to tell your team member in writing, providing them with a business reason for the refusal. 

There may be reasons why the carer can't apply or take Carer's Leave. They:

  • may not be eligible for Carer's Leave
  • need the time off now, before it can be approved
  • have taken all their Carer's Leave already.

You may need to consider other options with your team member, such as special leave, annual leave, flexitime or unpaid leave. 

Contact HR & OD at if you need advice.