Renfrewshire Council

Data protection

The Data Protection Act 1998 regulates how personal information relating to individuals is dealt with

The main concept behind the Act is that although the data controller (in this case, the council) can hold your personal information, it still belongs to you.

Everyone has right of access to a legible copy of any information that relates to them held by a public body, such as ourselves, under this Act.

Requests must be made in writing. To make this easier for you, you may wish to use the subject access request form which is available for download. This is designed to make sure that the correct details are given so that we can find your information as quickly as possible.

Along with the form, you must provide copies of two types of identification:

  • something that identifies you such as a passport or driving licence, and
  • something that identifies where you live and where we will be sending the information such as an up to date utility bill or rent book.

We ask you for this identification to protect your interests and to make sure that no personal details go astray.

There is a £10 fee for the provision of information under the Data Protection Act so you should include a cheque or postal order payable to 'Renfrewshire Council' in with your form.

You can also pay the £10 fee over the telephone by calling the Customer Service Centre on 0300 300 0300 or by visiting the Customer Service Centre at Renfrewshire House, Cotton Street.

Your application for information will be dealt with promptly and processed within 40 days upon receipt.

We reserve the right to ask you to clarify your request if it is too vague or general, and may contact you in order to do this. If you have a complaint about the way in which your enquiry has been handled, you have the right to apply to the UK Information Commissioner for him to review the case.

Please note that requests for information relating to individuals other than you are not dealt with under the Data Protection Act. The Act only gives you the right to your own information; even details relating to a close family member would not be provided were you to request them under this Act.

People do have other rights to information. If you wanted information relating to your child's school records, you have the right to this under the Pupils' Educational Records Regulations 2003.

Ask at your child's school about this in the first instance. We are under an obligation to allow you access to these records within 15 school days of the receipt of your application.

If you are looking for any other information that you believe we hold, it may be best to apply for this under Freedom of Information legislation.

Share this page: