Renfrewshire Council

*** This service is affected by the Coronavirus outbreak. Check our COVID-19 pages for the latest information ***

Please bear with us as we concentrate resources on delivering essential services. Abercorn and George St offices are now closed.

Help if you are worried you may become homeless

On this page:

I am worried I may become homeless, where can I find help?

Our team is here to help prevent you from becoming homeless. If you are having difficulty paying your rent or mortgage and are at risk of losing your home through eviction or repossession, our Prevention Team can offer you advice on the following matters:

  • your housing options;
  • your benefit entitlement;
  • your debt situation;
  • understanding the court process for eviction/repossession;
  • specialist legal or debt advice;
  • accessing support services.

If you are 25 or over, please contact:

Housing Advice and Homeless Services
Abercorn Street Service
15 Abercorn Street
Paisley PA3 4AA
t: +44 (0)300 300 0222

If you are under 25, please contact:

The George Street Service
31- 35 George Street
Paisley PA1 2JY
t: +44 (0)141 618 5785

Are you an offender facing homelessness on release from custody?

Renfrewshire Council New Start Officer works with offenders soon to be released from custody by providing a Housing Options Approach to sustain tenancies and prevent homelessness wherever possible.

If you are going to be homeless on release, you can request a housing appointment via the Prison Links Centre and the New Start Officer will make arrangements to contact you.

If you are in custody, you should keep in contact with your landlord to sustain your tenancy wherever possible but this will depend on the length of your sentence.

Is a family member an offender facing homelessness on release from custody?

If you have a family member in prison, the SPS website has links to organisations that can assist you.

Other useful links:

Are you leaving, or have you left, the Armed Forces and you require housing?

If you are leaving the Armed Forces or you have been a member before, you can contact our Housing Advice and Homeless Services, a Local Neighbourhood Office or a Housing Association to arrange a Housing Options interview. These organisations can be contacted via the below details:

Renfrewshire Council Housing Advice & Homeless Services
t: +44 (0)300 300 0222 (Out of Hours: +44 (0)800 121 4466)
Housing Associations
Johnstone Neighbourhood Services
t: +44 (0)300 300 0222
Renfrew Neighbourhood Services
t: +44 (0)300 300 0222

Can you help if my landlord or mortgage provider is taking me to court to evict me?

If you are one of the following:

  • A tenant of a housing association
  • A tenant of a private landlord
  • A homeowner with a mortgage

and your landlord/mortgage provider is planning court action to evict you/repossess your home, then please be aware that they now have a legal duty to notify us of this. When we receive this notice, we will contact you to discuss your situation and see how we can help.

If you are concerned about your rent or mortgage payments please visit our dedicated section for Money and Debt Advice.

Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme

The Deposit Guarantee Scheme* aims to provide more options for households that are homeless or about to become homeless. The scheme can:

  • help find a privately rented property that meets your individual need
  • ensure any prospective landlord is registered with the council
  • negotiate rent levels, where appropriate, and help you apply for Local Housing Allowance
  • check that the property meets the Scheme's high standards
  • provide a written guarantee to the landlord
  • make sure that you have fair terms and conditions on your lease
  • visit you at the property to make sure you are settling In.

*Please note: due to restrictions on Local Housing Allowance, not everyone is eligible for the Deposit Guarantee Scheme.

Find out more about the Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme

Contact your Housing Options adviser directly or get in touch via the below contact details:

t: +44 (0)141 618 5808