Renfrewshire Council

Give us feedback about this page. Did you find what you are looking for?

Get a vehicle permit for the Household Waste Recycling Centre at Linwood

Before you come to the recycling centre, what vehicles require a permit, how to get a permit, ID requirements, DIY waste, waste inspection, terms and conditions.

Before you come to the recycling centre at Linwood

Our household waste recycling centres are for household waste only and we do not accept any commercial waste.

If you want to visit a household waste recycling centre in a commercial-style vehicle, you can only visit Linwood Household Waste Recycling Centre. You must apply for a vehicle permit before you come there.

You can bring a car to any of our other household waste recycling centres and you don't need a permit.

What vehicles require a permit

Mini bus    Pickup

Small van    Transit   


Vehicle types
Vehicles allowed on site with a permitVehicles not allowed on site
Vans (Up to 3.5t, max 4 wheels)Vehicle with more than four wheels
PickupsVehicles over 3,500 gross weight
Car, van or pickup with a single axle trailer less than 1.8m long x 1.2m wideVehicles with a trailer more than 1.8m long x 1.2m wide
Mini bus (8 - 11 seats)Vehicles with twin axle trailers
Cars (no permit required)Vehicles with ANY commercial waste
 Tipper vehicles

How to get a permit

  • Before applying for a permit, you are advised to check the terms and conditions below for access to Linwood recycling centre and you must agree to them before you apply.
  • You may need to complete a commercial waste declaration stating the waste you are tipping is not commercial waste
  • The permit must be in the name and details of the driver of the vehicle.
  • Permits can only be used for a maximum of three visits per day.
  • Last entry for vans, pickup or trailers is 6pm.

Please be aware that due to demand you may be asked to return another day. All household waste recycling centres close at 6pm.

Apply for a vehicle permit

ID requirements

You will need to bring:

  • photographic ID and proof of residency, such as a council tax or utility bill
  • your permit to the site.

Failure to produce any of these documents may result in refusal to tip.

DIY waste

  • DIY waste (or construction and demolition waste) is large amounts of waste that is generated through building or renovation work in your home or garden.
  • By law waste types, such as DIY waste, that you may produce through building or renovation work in your home or garden are classed as 'non-household waste' and the Council does not have to accept this type of waste.
  • Examples of DIY waste include, bathroom and kitchen remodels, full decking or fencing projects and plasterboard etc.
  • You can hire a skip or use a private waste disposal contractor to dispose of DIY waste. A full list of registered waste carriers can be found at Registered Waste Carriers and Brokers ( You should ask for proof of disposal to ensure your waste is being disposed of in accordance with their Duty of Care.
  • Any tradesperson carrying out work in your home e.g. gardener or builder should dispose of the waste created themselves; this cannot not be taken to a HWRC, no matter what type of waste it is. It is your responsibility and theirs to ensure they dispose of this waste at via a registered waste contractor, in accordance with their Duty of Care.

Waste inspection

  • All waste brought to the site may be subject to inspection by an Enforcement Officer and if deemed to be commercial waste access will be rejected.
  • The Council reserves the right to undertake investigations relating to the waste which is presented at the HWRC and to restrict access if false or inaccurate information is provided to Council staff or through the online booking service.

Terms and conditions

  • Renfrewshire recycling facilities are for use only by residents of Renfrewshire who wish to deposit waste materials from their own property.
  • It is illegal to deposit trade or commercial waste at a Renfrewshire Recycling Facility.
  • The permit system applies to all Type B vehicles, including hire vehicles and commercial vehicles on loan from a place of work.
  • Permits are not transferable.
  • Permits are valid for the date indicted on the permit ONLY
  • Permits are valid for the vehicle indicted on the permit ONLY
  • All waste brought to a Renfrewshire Recycling Facility will potentially be subject to a visual inspection by the Site Attendants and Enforcement Officer
  • The Enforcement Officer and Site Attendants reserve the right to refuse access to the site if it is suspected that the waste is commercial in origin (booking does not give automatic right to tip).
  • Residents are asked to pay attention to all signage on site with regards to health and safety of residents and staff.
  • Residents are asked to follow the advice of the Site Attendants and site signage in order to use the facilities on site.
  • Any abuse, bullying or violent behaviour towards any of our site staff will not be tolerated.
  • CCTV is in operation at the site. Information collected will be used for monitoring access to the site, and it may be shared with other organisations for the purpose of investigating breaches of waste regulations and the prevention and detection of crime.
  • Renfrewshire Council reserves the right to undertake investigations regarding the origin of any wastes presented and to restrict access to its site if false or inaccurate information is provided.
  • Renfrewshire Council reserves the right to refuse or cancel the permit if provided with false or misleading information.

Further information

See our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information, if you're still not sure if you need a permit contact us.