Renfrewshire Council

If your bin is full or you have other types of waste

What goes in each bin, if your bins are not big enough, if you need more bins or bags, bin sharing stickers, what new residents should do, help with assisted collections, other ways to recycle or dispose of waste.

If your grey bin is filling up ahead of the next collection

To create more space in the bins, try to collapse items such as boxes before putting them in.

Make sure all possible items are placed in the correct bin and take extra time to separate recyclable items. This will free up a lot more space in your grey bin. See what goes in each bin

Put your food waste in the brown bin or in your food caddy bin. You can get more biodegradable food caddy bin liners to collect food waste.

Plastic containers and bottles can take up a lot of room. These should go straight into your green bin after being squashed down.

If your bins are not big enough

If you're using all your containers and find that you still have more waste than will fit in them, you can request an extra or larger grey bin.

If you regularly don't have enough room in your grey bin, we can provide you with larger blue and green recycling bins to help you recycle as much as possible at home.

You can also take additional waste to any of our household waste recycling centres or arrange a special uplift (there may be a charge for this service).  

If you'd like a larger recycling bin, contact us by email at or call us at 0300 300 0300.

If you have lot of nappies or incontinence pads

We will provide you with additional capacity for non-recyclable waste if:

  • there are 5 or more permanent residents in the home
  • there are 2 or more children using disposable nappies
  • the waste is non-hazardous medical waste, like incontinence products
  • all members of the household can't separate recyclables due to illness

Request an extra or larger grey bin

If you put items in the wrong bin

To avoid mixing recyclables and non-recyclables, it is essential you put your waste in the right bin.

If your bin has the wrong items in it, a member of the collection team may leave a tag on it advising on the corrective action required.

We won't be able to collect recycling bins that are contaminated with excessive amounts of non-recyclable waste.

See the full list of items that can and can't be recycled in each bin.

If you need assisted bin collections

We want to ensure that all residents on an assisted collection have the support they need so if you need anything, please get in touch with us by emailing or call us on 0300 300 0380.

What the shared bin sticker means

Bins that have a shared bin sticker are for the use of everyone in the block. It is the responsibility of the residents to present these bins on the appropriate collection day and return them once collected.

If you don't get a brown bin

Not all properties have the full range of kerbside services due to types of housing or access issues for our vehicles.

Some flats and tenements and all rural properties are not provided with a garden and food waste collection. Flats and tenements are provided with a weekly food waste caddy service as an alternative.

How to ask for a smaller grey, blue, green or brown bin

If you need a smaller bin, contact us by email at

How to organise a special uplift

We can pick up large bulky items of household waste and rubbish from your home like cookers, fridges and furniture.

There's a standard charge for each uplift, payable in advance. If you're a council tenant, two uplifts per year are included in your rent.

We aim to pick up general household items within three working days after receiving your payment or order.

How toarrange a special uplift online or by call us on 0300 300 0300.

How to get your rubbish and recycling bin collections if you're a new resident.

Contact us by email at or call us on 0300 300 0300 to order your bins. There may be a charge for new bins.