Renfrewshire Council

Renewal of civil marriage vows or civil partnership pledge

About the ceremony, who the ceremony is for, book a ceremony, documents you need to provide, locations, who conducts the ceremony, documents you will get.

See the current coronavirus restrictions for civil partnerships

About the ceremony

This ceremony is for any married couple who have had a civil marriage ceremony, or are registered civil partners, who wish to celebrate renewing their marriage vows, or civil partnership pledge, in a unique and personal ceremony. 

These ceremonies have no legal standing and are not legally binding on those who take part. 

Often, these ceremonies are associated with a special wedding or civil partnership anniversary, such as the tenth, twenty-fifth or fortieth, but the ceremony is just as appropriate for couples at any stage of marriage or civil partnership. This ceremony is also appropriate for those couples who married abroad in a private ceremony and who wish to have a family celebration.

Who the are ceremonies are for

Any married couple or registered civil partners, of any age and married or civil partners for any length of time can arrange a civil renewal of vows ceremony.

Book a ceremony

You can book your ceremony up to 1 year in advance. A deposit is required to make your booking. The balance of your ceremony fee must be paid at least 29 days before the ceremony date.

Documents you need to provide

You will need to produce your marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate when booking your ceremony in person. If you phone to book, you will need to produce your marriage or civil partnership certificate before the renewal ceremony.

How to order a marriage, civil partnership certificate.

Location of ceremony

A ceremony can take place, Monday to Saturday, at:

  • Johnstone registration office
  • Paisley marriage suite
  • Renfrew marriage suite

Renewal ceremonies can also take place at venues in Renfrewshire agreed between you and the Registrar.

Who conducts the ceremony

A local government officer will conduct your ceremony. The officer is trained in ceremonial skills, employed by Renfrewshire Council, and will normally be a Registrar.

Documents you will get 

After your ceremony, you will receive a ceremonial pack which includes:

  • a renewal of civil marriage vows certificate, or renewal of civil partnership pledge certificate
  • a copy of the ceremony speech
  • an attractive presentation wallet

We have a range of facilities in Renfrewshire for your civil renewal of marriage vows ceremony. The fees vary with a venue to suit every need.

Renewal of civil marriage vows - information pack (pdf)