Renfrewshire Council

Performing Animals Register

Who needs to register a performing animal, how to register, conditions of registration, if you are refused registration, inspections.

Who needs to register a performing animal

The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 requires any person who exhibits or trains any performing (vertebrate) animal such as for advertising, circuses, cabarets, film making, plays and so on, to be registered with a local authority.

The term "exhibit" is defined as "exhibit at any entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment of money or otherwise..." and to "train" means "for the purpose of any such exhibition." This Act will not apply to the training of animals for bona fide military, police, agricultural or sporting purposes, or the exhibition of any animals so trained.

You may not apply for a registration of performing animals if you have ever been disqualified by a court prohibiting you from the training or exhibition of animals.

How to register a performing animal

Complete the registration form for a performing animal [115KB] and return it to us at the address on the form.

When we receive the registration form and fee we will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability for housing animals.

We will also arrange for a vet to carry out an inspection as part of the registration process.

Dependent on the findings of the inspection registration may or may not be issued.

There is no renewal procedure as registration is a one-off process.

The cost to register a performing animal or animals is £252.85.

Conditions of registration

Applicants should ensure that they have taken all necessary steps to protect the welfare of the animal and consider matters such as possible infection and the number or length of performances each day.

In addition, conditions relating to animal boarding establishments must be met and the registration will be subject to a vet check.

You must let us know about any changes of circumstances.

If you are refused registration

If you are unhappy with the refusal of registration or any of the conditions to which it is subject, you can appeal to the Sheriff who may give directions to us on the issue of the registration or the conditions.


Inspections will be carried out by a Public Health Enforcement Officer (Environmental Health) and/or a vet.