Renfrewshire Council

Private hire car licence

You must have a licence if you want to use a vehicle as a private hire car in Renfrewshire.

A private hire car can only be pre-booked.

How do I apply for a licence?


An application pack with an application form, guidance notes and conditions of licence can be downloaded under related content. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.

You must apply in person at the Customer Service Centre. You can book an appointment online or over the phone.

You must answer every question on the form. If a question is irrelevant, mark it as 'not applicable'.

What documents do I need?


Your application must be accompanied by:

  • a bill of sale (if an application to change your vehicle has been made within the last six weeks, or if the application is for a new grant) or vehicle registration document. Either of these must be in the licenceholder's name. If there is a leasing agreement in place, the lessee's name should appear;
  • a vehicle inspection pass certificate issued by the Council's inspection centre at Underwood Road, Paisley;
  • an MOT certificate (if the vehicle is over three-years-old);  Guidance on private hire vehicle inspections can be found under related documents.
  • a comprehensive insurance certificate and schedule showing private hire use (for renewal applications only). This must be in the name of the licenceholder, or if a leasing agreement is in place, the lessee;
  • a leasing agreement (if applicable);
  • evidence of entitlement to work in the UK; and
  • a check on previous convictions for applicants seeking a new licence, who were born or have been resident outside the UK for six months or more.

How much is the licence fee?


Information on fees for all licences can be found under related articles - click on 'civic application fees'.

Please note you will have to pay a fee(s) for any new plate(s) needed for your vehicle.

What criteria must be met to apply?


Renfrewshire Council has various policies for vehicles. The Civic Enforcement Officer can provide more details.

The main polices affecting you when making an application are:

  • Types of vehicle to be used as private hire care are - four-door saloon, five-door hatchback or estate vehicle with a minimum width across the back seat of 48 inches. Alternatively, a multi-persons vehicle (MPV) of a type approved by the licensing authority;
  • any colour other than white;
  • vehicles must be less than seven-years-old from the date of registration unless the vehicle is an MPV and wheelchair accessible. In that case vehicles should be less than eight-years-old from the date of first registration. Vehicles should be taken out of service and replaces when they become seven-years or eight-years-old from the date of registration respectively; and
  • vehicles are subject to six-monthly inspections from the time they are five-years-old from the date of first registration.

How long will my application take?


All applications made under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 must be considered within three months. A decision must be made within nine months.

Who is consulted about my application?


A copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland. They will carry out their own investigations and report back to the licensing section.

What happens if there is an objection or representation to my application?


If an objection or representation is received the application must be considered at a Regulatory Functions Board meeting. You will be formally invited to attend. A copy of the letter will be sent to you with the citation.

What conditions are attached to my licence?


A copy of the conditions will be sent to you once your taxi licence has been granted.

You are required to have a full understanding of these conditions. These conditions form part of your licence and must be kept.

How long does the licence last for?


Applications for the grant of a licence generally last for a year. Applications to renew an existing licence are normally granted for a two-year period.


Share this page: