Renfrewshire Council

Council tax discounts for students

Register for council tax, who can get a student council tax reduction, what council tax discount you may get, how to apply, what happens after you finish studying.

You'll need to register for council tax first before you can apply for a student discount.

Register for council tax

If you have just moved into a new property, the links above will ask you to confirm this as you will still have to register for council tax to enable us to award your reduction.

Halls of Residence Students

If you are a student living in a registered Halls of Residence, you do not have to register for council tax and you will be automatically exemption from paying the council tax charge. If you move out of Halls of Residence and move to a property elsewhere in Renfrewshire, you will have to complete the relevant form above if you are still a full time student.

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you reside in an HMO property, where you lease a room within a property and share communal facilities such as bathroom, kitchen, or living room, the landlord should remain liable for the council tax. If you stay within an HMO, contact us and let us know. When you contact us, attach a copy of your lease to ensure we can review and update your account correctly.

Students of University of the West of Scotland (UWS)

The council has an electronic process in place with UWS which means we can verify your student status direct. You must however still apply online to us, using the appropriate link above, to confirm your address and the number of adults staying in the property.   

Please follow the steps below:

All other students

If you attend any other college or university, you need to apply for an exemption or discount and supply proof of your student status. This includes visiting students attending other UK establishments as part of a full-time course being undertaken at a college/university elsewhere in the EU.

You must:

Who can get a student council tax reduction

As a full-time student you may be able to receive a discount on your Council Tax bill.

To qualify as a student, you must either:

  • study for 24 weeks for 21 hours per week in each academic year
  • be under 20 years old, have left home and be studying for a qualifying course for at least 12 hours a week for three months - qualifying courses include A levels, Highers, HNDs, HNCs and Level 4 SVQs
  • be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council.

What council tax discount you may get

If you qualify as a student, you may be entitled to:

  • an exemption of 100 per cent if the property is occupied solely by students, or
  • a discount of 25 per cent if all but one of the adults (aged 18 and over) living in the property are students, so for example, if you live with a lone parent or a partner who is not a student, they will be entitled to a 25 per cent discount.

Please note if at least two occupants within a property do not qualify as students, full council tax will be payable.

How to apply

To apply for a student reduction, complete this online form council tax reduction form if you're a Univerity of the West of Scotland (UWS) student.

All other students should apply online using the Other students application for council tax reduction

You'll need to register for MyAccount to apply online. All you need is an email address to create your account.

If you are not a UWS student, you'll need to attach evidence of your full time student status.

If you live in a property occupied solely by students, every student in the household must complete the application before the correct level of reduction can be awarded.

We can only grant a reduction for the period your college or university has confirmed to us that you are studying.

If your course lasts for more than one year you must apply for a student discount or exemption at the start of every academic year.

What happens after you finish studying

If you're no longer a student, you must notify the council of your change in status. We will update your council tax account accordingly and send you a new bill.