Renfrewshire Council

Appeal your council tax valuation band

How you can appeal the decision made on the valuation band on your council tax, who the Valuation Appeals Committee (VAC) are, what happens at a formal hearing.

You can appeal against the amount of council tax you have to pay if:

  • we haven't awarded a discount or an exemption, or
  • you disagree with our decision that you are responsible (liable) for payment of council tax. 

Explaining our decision

Although there are no time limits on when you should contact us, we recommend that you contact us as soon as you receive your bill. We will provide further information and an explanation of how we have arrived at our decision. You can contact us in person, by telephone, letter or email.

Making a formal appeal

If you remain dissatisfied with our explanation, you can make a formal appeal to the council on the following grounds:

  • you disagree with our decision that the dwelling is chargeable e.g. you believe it should be exempt form charges;
  • you disagree that you are the person who should be liable to pay the Council Tax;
  • you disagree with the calculation of your bill e.g. you think you should receive a discount or disabled reduction 

If you decide to appeal against a decision, you should continue to make the payments shown on your bill.  If your appeal is successful and your bill is reduced, we will adjust your payments or give you a refund.

Appealing the valuation band of your property

Please send the details of your appeal directly to the Renfrewshire Valuation Joint Board. 

  • email:
  • phone: 0300 300 0150 (Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 4.45pm, Friday 8.45am to 3.55pm).
  • write to: The Assessor and Electoral Registration Officer, Renfrewshire Valuation Joint Board, The Robertson Centre, 16 Glasgow Road, Paisley PA1 3QF

What happens next

When we receive your formal request, we will get a senior member of staff to check your Council Tax account to make sure our decision is correct. If we cannot change our decision, you have the right to then proceed to a formal hearing by an independent body called the Valuation Appeal Committee (VAC).

The Valuation Appeals Committee (VAC)

There are some stages and conditions that must be met before a case can proceed to a VAC:

  • you must have written to us already advising that you were dissatisfied;
  • you must have received a reply and be dissatisfied with that reply, or 2 months has passed since you wrote to us and you have not received a reply;
  • you must write again to us (within 4 months of your original letter) advising that you wish to appeal to the VAC
  • your letter of appeal must state the date you first wrote to us and must state the full reasons for appealing.

The Valuation Appeals Committee cannot hear appeals about why you have not paid your Council Tax. Also it cannot hear appeals about the level of discount the Local Authority has decided to set for 2nd homes or long-term empty homes. The level of these discounts can only be challenged in the court by a legal procedure called a judicial review. You will need specialist legal advice before taking one of these cases forward. 

What happens after you have requested an appeal

If all of the conditions are met:

  • we will contact the Secretary of the Committee to arrange a hearing;
  • you will be cited to appear at the hearing where you or your representative will be given the opportunity to present your case;
  • you will be given at least 35 days notice of the hearing

Attending the hearing

You, or your representative would normally be expected to attend the hearing. If this is not practical, please let us know.

What happens at the hearing

There may be more than one case being heard during the sitting and each case is dealt with in turn. You (or your representative) will present your case first then the Council's representative will present their explanation of the decision. Both you and the Council may present evidence (e.g.) copy letters, relevant legislation or case law. The Committee, you, your representative and the Council's representative are able to ask questions of each other during the hearing.  

Who the Valuation Appeal Committee members are

The committee is made up of independent people who are selected from a pool of volunteers known as the Valuation Appeal Panel. The Sheriff Principal appoints each member of the Committee and that member must live, work or is/was engaged in business in the area covered by the Appeal Panel. The Secretary of the Committee, a solicitor, advises on points of law but is not involved in the decision of the Committee.

When you will know the outcome

The Committee will deliberate the case after you have left the hearing and the Secretary of the Committee will write to you advising of the decision within 7 days of the decision being made.

What happens if you win your appeal

The Council will also receive written confirmation of the decision and if you have been successful, your Council Tax account will be adjusted and a revised bill will be issued. Any credit balance resulting from the adjustment will be transferred to any other outstanding Council Tax account (or other debt owed to the Council) you may have, or it will be refunded.

What happens if you or the Council disagrees with the committee's decision? 

If the Council or you, disagree with the decision, either party can appeal to the Court of Session, but only on a point of law.

If you feel you have grounds to make a formal Council Tax Appeal you can use our Appeals Application form. Please return the completed form to the address shown on the form.