Renfrewshire Council

Trade waste services

Community Resources provide a range of commercial waste services to businesses in Renfrewshire.

Business premises who want to use the council's commercial waste collection service have to buy wheeled (wheelie) bins and pay for the collection of waste. We also provide a special uplift service for businesses. The 'Community Resources fees and charges' page has the current costs and charges (excluding VAT) for commercial waste services. 

Wheeled bins are available in a variety of sizes to suit individual business needs. 

Capacity (litres)Dimensions (mm) (height/width/depth)Approximate sacks held
140935 x 480 x 5502
2401080 x 580 x 7304
3601110 x 620 x 8606
6601260 x 1260 x 98511
12801430 x 1265 x 98521

Waste (Scotland) Regulations 

Waste (Scotland) Regulations state that businesses are required to take all reasonable steps to recycle as much of their waste as possible. The following have a direct affect on businesses:

  • Your business must present metal, plastic, glass, paper and card separately for collection.
  • If you run a food business which produces over 50 kg of food waste per week, you must present it for separate collection.
  • The requirement to present food waste for separate collection will extend to all food businesses which produce over 5 kg of food waste per week

The Regulations apply to all waste producers including tradesmen, shops, offices, factories, restaurants, schools and hospitals, whether public or private.  

Duty of Care

Under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, any business, not-for-profit organisation, or public sector body has a legal requirement to store, present, and dispose of their waste in a responsible manner. This responsibility is referred to as a 'Duty of Care'. Every organisation and business has a Duty of Care (a legal responsibility) for waste they generate. This means:

  • Store your waste securely so it does not cause litter or attract vermin. 
  • Ensure your waste is transferred to an authorised collector such as your local authority or a reputable waste contractor.
  • Complete a waste transfer note for any transfer of waste and retain a copy of this note for two years.
  • If carrying your own waste to a private contractor, you should be appropriately registered with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). This registration is free and the simple application form is available on the (SEPA) website .