Renfrewshire Council


As a full-time student you may be able to receive a discount on your Council Tax bill.  To qualify as a student, you must either:

  • study for 24 weeks for 21 hours per week in each academic year

  • be under 20 years old, have left home and be studying for a qualifying course for at least 12 hours a week for three months - qualifying courses include A levels, Highers, HNDs, HNCs and Level 4 SVQs

  • be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council.


Amount of Discount

You may be entitled to a 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students or a 25% discount if all but one of the adults (aged 18 and over) living in the property are students.

How to apply...

You must apply for an exemption or discount. It is not granted automatically when you become a student. If you live in a property occupied solely by students every student in the household must complete the discount application before any discount or exemption will be awarded.

1. Students of the University of the West of Scotland (UWS)

The council has an electronic process in place with the university which means we can verify your student status direct. There's no need to provide any further documentary evidence .  

You must:

  • 'Opt-in' to share your information via the university's Self Service Banner portal

  • Click on the  'UWS Students - apply for Council Tax discount or exemption' button above

  • Create your MyAccount profile and complete the online application form 'Council Tax - UWS student application for discount or exemption'

If you have 'opted-out' of this service you should note that we will require documentary evidence from UWS to confirm that you are a student. 

2. All other students

If you attend any other college or university you need to apply for an exemption or discount and supply proof of your student status, this includes visiting students attending other UK establishments as part of a full-time course being undertaken at a college/university elsewhere in the EU.

You must:

  • Click on the 'All Other Students - apply for Council Tax discount or exemption' button above

  • Provide documentary evidence of your student status which has been signed and stamped by the college or university


What happens when you cease to be a student?

If you are no longer a student you must notify the council of your change in status. We will update your council tax account accordingly and issue a new bill.